Chat about cars you've been in lately

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Chat about cars you've been in lately

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:26 pm

traineefarmer wrote:My mistake. It was a 400. 2.5 Peugeot turbo diesel.

It wasn't so much the lack of power, but the unbelievable noise and vibration that came into the cab. After a couple of hundred miles I was exhausted.

I drove another briefly and it seemed just as bad.
The later ones had the Perkins 2.5 TD Tom, much better! The LDV Pilot retained the 1905cc XUDT turbo diesel from Pugrot though - wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding!

Always fancied an ex-Ambulance LDV400 with the 3.9 V8 and ZF 4-speed auto to turn into a camper van, running LPG of course! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Alucard7002 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:21 am

Having recently purchased an 07 plate LWB Transit I can say they are not bad to drive at all.

I used to drive the Asda delivery vans, all cab & chassis with the box on the back. All base spec Mercs, VWs, Ivecos.

Worst were the Ivecos with the "Automated Manual Transmission" which was a 6 speed box with electro pneumatic gearshift and clutch. They ate 2nd gear synchros every 30k and clutches every 40k.

Then the VWs with (surprise surprise) DPF faults fortnightly. Also had gearbox issues due to the sensors dying inside the 'box.

The least worst was the Merc, had a proper slushbox and torque converter setup. Drove like it had a set of breeze blocks for springs but the least problematic.

My Transit has a fault with the Fuel Pressure Relief valve that is causing a hunting idle and low fuel pressure when warm. Easy to swap - needs to be plugged into the Ford diagnostics to CODE THE VALVE TO THE ECU!
I'm serious, absolutely bonkers setup with Ford trying to force owners to use them for basic servicing.

China knockoff code reader that is known to work has been purchased and it still works out cheaper than an hours labour at Frauds!
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:35 pm

Ford are renowned for this with their diseasels, if you don't code the new compnent the pump goes into "WTF!" mode and puts as mcuh pressure as it can create into the system to blow seals, hoses, injectors etc. It's allegedly an anti-theft device so people can't get round an ECU-based immobiliser just by changing the ECU and associated fob or whatever.

Right royal, ocean going, goat f**k of a pain for non-original owners though when something goes pear-shaped! :shock: :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

xpuffin
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by xpuffin » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:38 am

Just picked up a 1963 series 11a landrover. Couple of jobs for the mot then it's going to serve as a dogmobile.
Loving it.
10 Rover 800's now and counting.
2x Mk1 827 Vitesse Fastbacks
3x 825 Coupe
Mk1 827 Sterling Saloon
825 Sterling Saloon
825 Sterling Fastback
820 Vitesse Coupe
820 O Series Mk1 Fastback.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:10 am

xpuffin wrote:Just picked up a 1963 series 11a landrover. Couple of jobs for the mot then it's going to serve as a dogmobile.
Loving it.
Sounds good Jez - everyone with a dog needs a Dogmobile! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Post by Tenesmus » Wed May 10, 2017 11:19 pm

Rover Streetwise (a 25 on stilts) loaner while the 75 is getting work done. 31,000 miles, it says. Rough and ready but goes quite well, good view all round, lots of cupholders. Cheap looking interior, "quirky" exterior, uncomfortable seats, gearbox a bit vague, can't read the clock easily, no toys (not sure if it's supposed to have aircon but if it does it's non-functioning). Who were these things aimed at? They must be good for something as the garage has three of them as loan cars.
Pete
Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Auto 2.5 and a 1998 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm. 827 has moved on...

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Thu May 11, 2017 7:15 am

'16 Plate Toyota Aygo. Had to drive it 200 yards to park it one of our sheds for storage.

200 Yards was quite far enough, thank you very much.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu May 11, 2017 8:46 am

traineefarmer wrote:'16 Plate Toyota Aygo. Had to drive it 200 yards to park it one of our sheds for storage.

200 Yards was quite far enough, thank you very much.
Hmmm, a shed within a shed?

I can see the resemblance! :lol:

Joking aside, it's a collaboration between Toyota and PSA, presumably following Nissans example of jumping into bed with a French manufacturer. :roll:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Aygo

As for the Streetwise, i was under the impression it was aimed at the "younger" market but i think they failed on that count as well :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_Streetwise

Wasn't there some tie-up between MG-Rover and Tata to make the Rover CityRover?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_CityRover

I think that was also aimed at the "younger" driver but how young you'd need to be to appreciate it i don't quite know! :shock: :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Post by Tenesmus » Sat May 13, 2017 4:42 pm

The City Rover was a last gasp, I think it was just a Tata with a badge. Only driven by old ladies, as far as I can see.
Pete
Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Auto 2.5 and a 1998 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm. 827 has moved on...

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat May 13, 2017 6:00 pm

That's the irony - aimed at young drivers but bought by octogenarians! :roll: :lol:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Mon May 15, 2017 8:15 pm

We sold on the 75 tourer and Michelle now has a 1 litre fiesta. Have to say it is an absolute pleasure to drive, the engine pulls unbelievably and makes a lovely noise. It is a 3 cylinder turbo, it returns low to mid forties, we bought it just before the new road tax laws came in so there​ is no road tax to pay. Inside is roomy and comfortable, the stereo is great, connects straight to her phone, it has aircon and most importantly, she loves it.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:47 pm

SJG wrote: It is a 3 cylinder turbo, and most importantly, she loves it.
Is that a V6 Duratec engine cut in half Simon or a totally different engine?

Glad she likes it anyway! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Tue May 16, 2017 7:24 am

It's supposed to be an all new engine. I've heard very good things about it in the Fiesta, but it can be a bit overstretched and give some trouble in the bigger cars like Focus and Mondeo(!).
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue May 16, 2017 9:52 am

The thing that bothers me about such a small engine in something like a Mondeo is what does it do when it's not on boost? It wouldn't have the torque to get something the weight of a Mondeo moving although in fairness many Fiestas are well over a ton in weight now.
That suggests in a Mondeo at least, it would spend 90% of its time on boost, i.e. under extreme load and stress.
Turbos are great for boosting (no pun intended!) performance on an engine that adequately already moves the vehicle it's in, or for increaasing efficiency but a 1 litre lump in a Mondeo just doesn't compute for me.

I know this is in a Fiesta but as i said above, many Fiestas are well over a tonne in weight these days. Look back at the original Fiesta, 957cc and about 800kg, adequate performance round town and short commutes, 40-50mpg but little in the way of creature comforts or long distance cruising ability.
The whole idea of the Fiesta has changed but imagine this 3-pot turbo lump in a Mk1 Fiesta :shock: :twisted:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Tue May 16, 2017 12:36 pm

traineefarmer wrote:It's supposed to be an all new engine. I've heard very good things about it in the Fiesta, but it can be a bit overstretched and give some trouble in the bigger cars like Focus and Mondeo(!).
In the fiesta I am very impressed with it. Don't know about other cars however.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997