Chat about cars you've been in lately

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Tenesmus
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Chat about cars you've been in lately

Post by Tenesmus » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:22 pm

Ford C-max rental on a 12 plate in Dublin, 46km on the clock. Diesel, 6 speed, no toys to speak of, quite unremarkable. Quite comfy with a decent view. Figured out how to pair my phone with it but not how to play music via Bluetooth.

Usual cheap plastic black and silver inside that is a bit depressing and for people who don't care.
Pete
Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Auto 2.5 and a 1998 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm. 827 has moved on...

Tenesmus
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Tenesmus » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:03 pm

Poverty-spec 2012 Focus diesel rental in Dublin would be utterly unremarkable except for the mould on the back seats, the left mirror that's been wired incorrectly so it moves in the wrong directions and, best of all, the carpet that's so wet it turns into a puddle if you push your hand on it (not exaggerating). Replaced swiftly by the rental co with a 13 plate that has a couple of extras like Bluetooth, heated windscreen and a broken parcel shelf.
Pete
Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Auto 2.5 and a 1998 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm. 827 has moved on...

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:01 pm

I had an Opel Mokka hire car for a day in Brussels a few weeks ago. Nearly brand new and rather impressive, in many respects. I have no idea what engine it was (a petrol unit, though, and probably a small capacity turbo) equipped with a stop-start system. It drove nicely, was reasonably economical, nice and comfortable and felt pretty solid - but then again I own a 19 year old Jeep Cherokee so ANYTHING feels smooth and solid by comparison. The only real criticisms were less-than ideal rear quarter visibility and a tiny boot.

I reckon that it was quite nice looking, too, by modern car standards.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Post by Tenesmus » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:27 pm

My brother-in-law's poverty spec 14 plate Toyota Corolla. I only recently realised how awful the centre console dash looks. It's a vertical slab of shiny black buttons.

Comfy in the back though.
Pete

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Post by Tenesmus » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:30 pm

As mentioned earlier, this was the passenger footwell of the rental Focus in Dublin.
Pete

TDHFastback

Post by TDHFastback » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:08 pm

Test drove a petrol Skoda Yeti last week.
I couldn't (and still don't) believe it was a 1.2 :shock: :shock:

It was really quick, roomy, with lots of space and visibility. They even do it with a sand interior and walnut burr ish.

With the fun of our MX5 and the practicality of the 800.
I thought the ride would be abominable and slow but cripes what a cracking little car 8) 8)
Loved it.

Kate :D
D reg Rover 820Si Saloon. No space for a a saloon in this rootin tootin town
G reg Rover 820SE Fastback (my every day runabout) that ran off.
G reg Rover 827Si police Fastback (last Mk1 jam sandwich)
V reg Rover 825 Sterling Fastback (end of an era)

BennyVitesse
Rover Guru

Post by BennyVitesse » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:41 pm

My Father and Stepmother went to Skoda Redditch last week wanting to buy either a Yeti or a Roomster and came out agreeing to buy the nearly new Octavia Kombi (Estate) parked out the front. 1.6 Turbo Diesel, does around 60 mpg and 0-60 on 10 seconds and costs £0 to tax.

It has absolutely no soul whatsoever and being low spec has no burr walnut either but it has a 600 litre boot big enough for their 7 month old Labrador (the new favoured one!) called Amber.

Had MGR still been going they would have been prime prospects for whatever replaced the 75 Tourer and its such a pity there is no MG6 Tourer, this SUV they hang so much on will be 'old hat' by the time they get around to launching it.
Ben

1996 Rover 111 Knightsbridge SE
2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur CDT
2016 Toyota Yaris Bi-Tone Hybrid
2017 Nissan Leaf 30kW Tekna

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Post by Tenesmus » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:13 pm

Dacia Duster diesel 4x4 in Dublin as our latest rental. Impressive for a cheap car, and doesn't look that cheap inside simply because they haven't randomly sprayed bits with silver paint. However its cheap origins are betrayed by silly design quirks like knobs that are so big they obscure the display that tells you what the knob is doing, a mirror control selector that is under the handbrake so it's difficult to operate unless you're parked, interior door handles that are the same colour as the door card so you can't see them at night... comfy though, goes well enough, boot just big enough. No frills basic motoring. Nissan and Renault bits assembled in India.
Pete

edenrob
Regular Visitor

Post by edenrob » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:12 pm

BMW M3 MTP
I had a morning at Brands Hatch yesterday (Saturday) driving this and an Audi powered van Dieman. Both were awesome in completely differing ways; the M3 is seriously fast in a very comfortable environment whereas the single seater is crude, basic and a challenge in damp conditions.
A very exciting day!
Rob
1997 820T Coupe Zircon
Previous Rovers
1979 2.6 SD1
1982 214
1989 213 (Gunmetal)
1993 820 Fastback (BRG)
1997 825D Fastback (Nightfire)
2002 ZS 180

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Post by Tenesmus » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:03 pm

Citroen C3 courtesy car while Wilcox (now a Citroen dealer) are doing the cambelt and service of the 75. What a hoot - it's like a turbo charged roller skate. I'm still peeling my face off the inside of the windscreen - the brakes work. Blacked out windows, stupid low profile tyres and a dash designed by a child. Very uncomfortable and crashy over little bumps. Holds the road like it's on rails. Before I hand it back I might tune every radio preset to radio 4...
Pete

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Post by Tenesmus » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:00 pm

Hire car - silver diesel Octavia estate with a black interior.
Likes - DAB radio with aux in and USB, good sound, open the windows with the fob, goes well, economy.
Dislikes - no audio controls on the steering wheel, no CD slot, it's silver, coma-inducing dull interior, it's a diesel.

It was nice to get out after a 2hour+ drive and into a proper car...
Pete

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Post by Tenesmus » Wed May 13, 2015 7:54 pm

Poverty spec Nissan Juke rental. I wasn't driving but it was ok, nice to be a bit higher up but it caught the crosswinds on the motorway. Diminutive driver found the seat uncomfortable. In contrast, the next day with me driving it's a...

Volvo XC70 4wd estate auto, diesel, leather. A lot of car with an impressive kickdown.
Likes, nice turn of speed, DAB radio, satnav that says "please", very comfy over bumps, solid feel.

Dislikes, hateful pushbutton brake that you have to lean forward to reach on the dash (WTF?), jerky change from first to second, manual seats.
Pete

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Thu May 14, 2015 7:55 am

Tenesmus wrote:...satnav that says "please"....
That's brilliant and disconcerting at the same time. Do you get the feeling you've disappointed it if you don't follow its suggestions?
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

vito
Rover Guru

Post by vito » Thu May 14, 2015 10:04 am

Flying visit to UK had a Hyundai iX35 pseudo 4wd from Stanstead for a week, nice in Silver and black interior, plasticky but functional and spacious, 51mpg average, ok for £90 for the week.
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Post by Tenesmus » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:08 pm

Mazda 3 on last year's plate in metallic red. What a nice car.
Likes: looks, drive, quality feel, interior not messed up with random bits of silver plastic, really comfy seat.
Dislikes: unfathomable satnav, bit sticky getting into first gear, USB sockets hidden under arm rest.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mazda/3
Pete