"A Maestro For Kate"

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MG Mal
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

"A Maestro For Kate"

Post by MG Mal » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:50 pm

As Gaydon failed to show you the joys of 80's Austin Rover, here's something I have been playing with for a few weeks. :mrgreen:

It was in the hands of a modern day "Rag and Bone Man", and looked like a good candidate for a return to the road.

"In the beginning"
Needs a screen and exhaust looking at, and a door handle.
Head liner has the usual issues.

Otherwise not too bad, a few rust streaks from the seams here and there.

Spare is brand new Michelin, rest are good year GT's.
Looks to have had a full service and belts prior to having been taken off the road in 07.

Last edited by MG Mal on Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MG Mal
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: "A Maestro For Kate"

Post by MG Mal » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:51 pm

A little progress today while awaiting the glass fitter.

Replacement drivers door handle fitted. It's black but I can sort out the colour match later. Looks to have been done before as the 10mmm nuts where not as tight as they should have been, and the plastic door liner had a neat repair where it covers the top rear corner of the door.

Replacement door handle:

Removed the headliner biscuit (later black plasticky type) and only one corner broke off.
I shall now have to hunt out my supply of U-Pol spray adhesive, spare empire grey material and print off JeffTurbo's (of Maestro club fame)excellent tutorial to ensure I don't screw it up! LOL

Headliner out.(covering fell off once released!)

When sitting in the back to remove the grab handles, I got a little "damp under".
Checked door seals etc and no issues there, removed central roof "buttons" and slid out the biscuit to find two piles of wet rust flakes on top of the biscuit.

So now I know why the rear seat was wet, the sunroof cassette has two rather unsightly rusty sections which have "let go" allowing all the rain water to drain onto the biscuit rather than dissapear down the drain pipes.

Hole on drivers rear of sunroof cassette:

Hole on passenger rear of sunroof cassette:

This has then "tracked" to the edge and dripped down on to the rear seat base.(A barn visit is in order to pick up a replcement cassette!.)

So I have flipped up the seats to allow access to dry out the "seat box", and will then need to remove the seats and bring them indoors to dry them off properly before refitting.

They needed to come out anyway, as the headliner as usual has left deposits of orange foam all over the interior, so a remove, clean and vac out is in order.

So , hopefully the replacement screen will be fitted today, and until I get back to the barn for a spare sunroof cassette, it will have to be parked facing "downhill" to ensure any rain water runs away from the "holy cassette".

Tune in next time for more adventures with the "wheel trimmed wonder"

Mal.

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:53 pm

Well, Replacement screen has been fitted.
Thankfully on removal only surface rust in the apperture which has been cleaned and treated,
although the next owner will likely have some minor scuttle work to do in the coming years.

New slightly wider seal used to minimise the chance of water ingress in the future.
So, just the sunroof cassette, head liner, brakes and exhaust do before test.
If the weather holds off tonight I can get the exhaust and brakes done.

Screen replaced:

I also scrubbed off the rear spolier set, as with it being an unpainted item the dirt gets ingrained quite easily.
After a good scrub, it was treated to Auto glyms Plastic bumper care gel.

My hope is that with just over 72k on the clock, and all the smaller faults corrected to an acceptable standard it will find a new owner that is willing to go the extra mile to make it mint.

As for "What hides beneath" (or above)in reference to the sunroof rot, the rear spoiler set will be removed tomorow and the back cleaned out.
There is evidence it has spent some time under tree's recently, and I want to make sure there is no "organics" rotting in there.

It will also to give me a chance to inspect the hatch area thats covered by it, I will also check behind the rear arch spats for the same reason.

NB: this won't be "Immaculate" when done, just a nice tidy example.
I'm leaving the paintwork issues to the next owner, as it would be prohibitive pricewise to have it done, as then it would have cost more than it's value.(as we all know)

And, as this car will only be with me in the short term, I would rather leave the "finishing touch's" to the new owner.

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:57 pm

Well the brakes are done. :)
Pads were seized due to rust, so cleaned up the carriers and the pad edge's so that they move with the piston.
Hand Brake now holds on 4 clicks.
Stud and nut threads cleaned and up to the right torque.

Have a new set of correct wheel trims for it as a couple of the originals are pretty scuffed up.
Exhaust is blowing from the down pipe to manifold joint, so thats next. (when I can get it up high enough.)

Almost ready for test. :D

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Well the exhaust is now done.
Was blowing as previousley described, but also looked a little rough in places.

New downpipe and mid box fitted sorted the problem.
Now purrs like it should.

Brakes seem to be iffy again this morning, so next on the list is checking the servo and servo pipe, as there are no fluid leaks and level is constant it has to be servo related.

Also removed and cleaned out the rear spoiler set.
The area of the hatch it covered was caked with dried on muck and "rubbing marks" from the spoilers.
I noticed on removal that some of the nuts where a little loose, so they may have been "shimmy-ing" against the paint work.
A good dose of G3 compound followed by a wax coat should leave the area clean and protected for a few years.
Horrible exhaust stain on the bumper also removed using G3, it was a couple of mm thick, so I doubt anyone has made an effort to clean it off for some time.
Had noticed that the hatch has been treated with cavity wax, so apart from a small ammount of localised corossion in one corner it's in very good condition. (the doors look to have had the same treatment.)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Well it's booked in for Friday at 2pm.

Full brake fluid change (cant find my easybleed set :evil: ) And MOT.

It will be going minus headliner, as there is no point retrimming and refitting until the cassette is replaced.

Mal.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And the result is..................

We have a pass! :)

One advisory on the brakes, but no other issues.

So now to move on to cleaning it up properly, replacing the sunroof mech and recovering the head liner.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Work stopped due to major throat infection.
knocked me for six on saturday evening, got in to see quack on Tuesday, and given an enforced 48hr strict rest only and some heavy duty antibiotics to deal with it.

May delay my run to the parts store for now.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just got back from my run north, throat cleared up enough for me to go.

Replacment sunroof and a few other odds and ends brought back for the project efi.

All being well, I will get it fitted and the head liner redone tomorow.
Will also put 6 months on it and take it for a run if completed.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Well the sunroof has now been changed over.
Still can't find my "trim -Fix" spray glue for the head liner!.
Cleaned out the auto choke set up and will be changing a calliper today to rectify the spongyness.

Car is now road legal though.(taxed it today.)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Brakes done, I "bit the bullet" and bought some more trim fix spray adhesive.
Hope to do the headliner tomorow.

Then it's time for a major cleaning blitz.

Had the car up the road and back (5 miles each way), runs like a dream, pulls like a train and so far no knocks or rattles to be concerned about.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It will be up for sale once I am happy with it.
No point selling on if there is a chance of a mechanical issue later on.
Apart from cleaning and a coat of wax, no body/paint repairs will be carried out, as it would not be financialy advisable as Im not keeping it.

Nothing much for a new owner to do anyway, so will be a nice winter finishing project for the next owner.

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:00 pm

Time got away from me due to work, ilness and family life.

The head liner is still to be recovered, but at least I have everything I need now.
The "biscuit" has been cleaned and "de-sticky'd" ready for the new covering.

I might add, that this is one of the most original 87 spec MG Maestro's I have seen, and it will be staying that way until sold.
Hopefully the new owner will keep it that way.

Mal.

MikeMedford
Rover Guru

Post by MikeMedford » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:19 pm

First post 9.50pm, last post 10pm.

You sure do work fast Mal, all that work in 10 mins ;) :lol:

820TickyTubby
Regular Visitor

Post by 820TickyTubby » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:17 am

I will be watching this one Mal looks a very nce example shame it must have just missed out on the red carpets!! :(

simon
Rover Guru

Post by simon » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:28 am

I had an MG monty in black nice car need to much for the mot shame :(
Simon & Jane.

Rover 825sd 229,000.
Rover SD1 V8 VDP 126,000 will get running this year.
2 rover 75's