More mice

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

More mice

Post by Very Tall Brad » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:38 am

Living in the countryside is hard work. One of my biggest problems is mice in my garages and cars. I have traps, poisons, electronic devices, all holes sealed and regular 'patrols'. I have had no mice in my cars now for about 5 years or more with one exception. There is always one car that I have that seems to be vulnerable. Yesterday, I removed the boot linings, spare wheel, tool kit, carpet, rear seat and had a look. The inspection cover for the fuel tank was not fixed (as you can see), there were two grommets missing that cover the rear bumper bolts and a third green grommet missing. And a huge nest of mice were living rent free.

New grommets, fresh poison and a good clean and I hope that is all for now:

No longer an 800 owner!

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Re: More mice

Post by Richard Moss » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:43 am

Persistent little buggers, aren't they?
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

metelmickey
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by metelmickey » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:16 pm

mice will get through any hole bigger than 7mm round :shock:
MIKE

just got a 827 mk2 coupe and loving it, more commanly known as mad mick ( used to run a nitros injected firebird ) still missing my rover, now got a BMW 735 1999. now got 2003 760l, a 6.0ltr V12 and 445bhp. :evil:

The Professor
Rover Guru

Post by The Professor » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:16 pm

I understand they don't like the smell of peppermint. You could try planting mint plants around your garage? Even putting peppermint oil on cotton wool and placing it near to where you think they may get in may work?
Glyn
Image Image

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:40 pm

That's right - I use peppermint essence and mothballs. Both are deterrents.
No longer an 800 owner!

rosshenocsr
Regular Visitor

Post by rosshenocsr » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:21 am

I dont have a car collection (due to my current house not have much parking space) but i do have an out house which is full with a lot of new old stock rover parts. About a year ago i saw a mouse run for cover across the floor and behind a maestro fuel tank. i moved the tank and there was a small hole in the wall out into the garden and under a bush. I sealed the hole and got a cat which lives outside in the garden 24/7. Never seen a live mouse since. Couple of dead ones though and a very happy cat
2003 MG ZS 180 - Trophy Blue
1998 Rover 620 ti - Kinversand Orange

mjc9967
Rover Guru

Post by mjc9967 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:43 pm

...and a very nice cat it is too, Ross!
Mark

91H 820i Auto F/B Nordic Blue 32k
91H 820i Auto F/B Nightfire 65k
99V 825 Sterling Auto 4dr BRG 77k

oldbugger
Regular Visitor

Post by oldbugger » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:53 pm

Our cat used to kill mice, but now at 17 years of age the old girl just sits sleeping all day.

THAT'S MY JOB!
My Vehicles; 1994 Peugeot 405 GLXd, 1999 Rover 820i, 1993 Rover 820SLi & 1988 Ford LTD Crown Victoria.

Mrs Old Bugger's Vehicles; 1991 Rover 827SLi & 1996 Ford Mondeo Ghia-X V6

Dajazar
Rover Guru

Post by Dajazar » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:13 pm

oldbugger wrote:Our cat used to kill mice, but now at 17 years of age the old girl just sits sleeping all day.

THAT'S MY JOB!
Ditto ours at 18 years. :D
Tracy
Love my cars
Rover 827 Sterling SOLD
Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5 For Sale
Honda CRV 2.0

Jango
Regular Visitor

Post by Jango » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:50 pm

I understand they don't like the smell of peppermint.
Really? I only ask as when I pulled the fuse panel cover thing out of my dad's Sterling there was a pile of Orbit style chewing gums with the coating chewed off sitting there stuck to the sound deadening material :shock: luckily they seemed to have left the electrics alone!

On a different note my mum complained of a smell in her Polo....upon further investigation they found a huge stash of peanuts in the engine air filter assembly :shock: ......and a nest in the pollen filter for the interior air.
'91 827 SLi Fastback - back on the road at last.
'89 Sterling - work in progress.....
'99 Sterling - on loan

Kyle
Rover Guru

Post by Kyle » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:54 pm

Jango wrote:
I understand they don't like the smell of peppermint.
Really? I only ask as when I pulled the fuse panel cover thing out of my dad's Sterling there was a pile of Orbit style chewing gums with the coating chewed off sitting there stuck to the sound deadening material :shock: luckily they seemed to have left the electrics alone!

On a different note my mum complained of a smell in her Polo....upon further investigation they found a huge stash of peanuts in the engine air filter assembly :shock: ......and a nest in the pollen filter for the interior air.
Peanuts? Think there would have been more than a smell if she had suffered from a peanut allergy!
2000 Audi TT 1.8T 225 Quattro Silver.
1996 Rover Vitesse Coupe - the new towcar