Charles's family owned from new Mk1a 827si

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Charles827si
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Charles's family owned from new Mk1a 827si

Post by Charles827si » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:28 pm

Right it’s time for an update on 250 UCX. There was a clattering noise over bumps. I took the rear wheel off on Monday and found it was the shield around the brake disc that was disintegrating so this was chucked. No more clatter!

I have noticed a cable hanging off the rear end which is for the brake pad wear indicator. Since the pads are still quite new, there is no point changing them for the sake of having ones with the wiring attached, so I have tied the wiring out of the way.
I took the car to M&G on the same morning with a list of jobs that I accumulated after 3000 miles of driving. I’d mentioned before that the car was cutting out alot and I thought this was down to the new EICV that was fitted in 2011. I recently bought another new one from a Honda dealer for a bargain £150.00. (Rover retails them at £208.00) Stewart fitted this for me. I told him that the car also runs away with itself from cold starting and that possibly the Fast idle control valve by the throttle body needed adjusting. He said it is a common experience and his ZS Kv6 does the same. So this was adjusted and the throttle responses reset on the ECU.
Also Stewart thinks that there is a very slight misfire which might be causing the car to ‘stutter’ so I need to look for a distributer cap because he couldn’t get one or a rotor arm. I’ve bought a rotor arm from Unipart. It might be worth replacing the HT leads as well because these have never been touched since the car was bought new. Unipart have quoted me £38.00 for a set, however I don’t want to fit inferior leads because I have read that these don’t last compared to the ‘good kind’ which will probably be of Japanese manufacture. I never noticed a misfire but it may be worth replacing these items all the same.

The temperature gauge hadn’t worked for as long as I could remember. Stewart diagnosed this problem as the temperature switch on the engine. A new one was fitted and I now have a working temperature gauge that reads normally!

I bought a thermostat to be fitted but it didn’t come with a seal so Stewart ordered a new one with a seal. This is fitted along with new coolant.

I asked Stewart to have a good root around the car to see if he could find anything else amiss. The front driver side wheel bearing was worn out so this was replaced.

And last of all I adjusted the ignition advance on the bulkhead to full advance. I’m running on super unleaded with a full tank so I’ll report my findings on mpg. The car is certainly a lot smoother with no hesitation and I can hold higher gears at lower speeds without judder. Gentle acceleration is improved and the exhaust noise seems to have quietened down.

So the whole driving experienced is a marked improvement with the refinement of a similar engine Merc or Lexus. Hopefully the car shouldn't cut out on me anymore. Just need to get a good quality set of HT leads and a distributor cap and fit them along with the rotor arm which I can manage. Happy days!
Charles 'Yorks'
"88 827si Fastback (manual) - Mum owned from new
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
2011 Lexus IS220D F Sport
It's a stick shift? No, It's a grip shift!
ImageImage

Charles827si
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Charles827si » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:15 pm

Touch wood, the car is driving very well – no cut out. (yet) Here is a top tip – don’t drive an 827 through moderate flood water unless you want a new Electronic Idle Control Valve. :wink:
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:34 pm

So I had 2 new Michelin energy savers fitted today at Keighley Kwikfit, but the guys couldn't do the tracking which I paid for online. A quick call to customer enquiries had me booked in at KF Skipton for this.
Looking at the old tyres, one was a Michelin Pilot which didn’t even have a manufacture date, so it was made pre 2000, and the other was a Firestone dated 2002; - so safe to say they needed replacing.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:11 pm

Update

Oil and Filter change yesterday
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

Austin-Rover
Regular Visitor

Post by Austin-Rover » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:47 pm

Just spotted this thread. Nice to see another early Fastback is knocking around in Yorkshire. It looks a lovely car!

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:00 pm

Austin-Rover wrote:Just spotted this thread. Nice to see another early Fastback is knocking around in Yorkshire. It looks a lovely car!
Thanks for the compliment, though it is actually a bit rough in the flesh :oops: To it's credit however, it does perhaps have the most comprehensive paper work and service history of any 800, one registered keeper from year dot, only two drivers - mother and son (that's me) from new, and is used on a daily basis. I don't know of another 800 with these credentials. 8) I saved this car in 2007 after mum gave me the reins to 250UCX and it's had more money thrown at it since then, then I dare think. I'm glad there are people like yourself who appreciate these early cars which are getting ever more scarce on the road.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:18 pm

Update

Fitted a brand new boot solenoid purchased from AE Wilcox. They still have another 4 left in stock and will give you a 15% discount if you ask! :)

Fitted driver side door handle

Fitted used dashboard console assembly because the toggle switch for the blower heater was broken.

Problem now is the heater isn’t working so it might be a case that the heater matrix needs cleaning or replacing. The coolant is fairly new so this is ruled out.

Since I put the dashboard back together neither the radio or clock are working but the LED display for both are backlit in orange, so I might have to disassemble the console again. :?
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:20 pm

A careful back-flush of the heater matrix may be all that's required (it worked on Mrs M's 216)
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:39 pm

Update:-

250UCX went into M&G today for its interim service and check over (oil, filter and sparkplugs replaced)

Heater working again – just a back flush of the heater matrix that was needed after all.

Slight oil leak coming from the rocker cover so I ordered two Rocker cover gaskets from Rimmers and these should take a few days and be posted

Clock and Radio diagnosed as ‘broken’. I replaced the radio with an exact spare I had but this didn’t work either so I took both these units to a local radio repairer and waiting for a price on these.

Will possibly need welding on the inner sill for the MOT. Not sure about the crack in the windscreen but this has stayed the same for the last 6 years so we'll see.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:30 pm

Collected my Philips radios from Car Radio Skipton (I took two units in for repair) The chap told me his repairer had managed to find and put in original bulbs for one unit and repaired the cassette deck. I keenly plugged it back in the car and..nothing. The back light was on just like before I took it for repair. All terminals were tested, all working positively. Bit of head scratching and then I realized it might be the fuse under the steering column. Found the fuse for interior lights/radio/clock. Sure enough this was the blown culprit. Replaced this and all is well again – now I have working interior lights, clock and radio including a cassette deck that hasn’t been played for the best part of 16 years and a working spare unit. Happy days!
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:42 pm

Well done Charles, but the question is, what will you be playing on that cassette deck? 16 years ago so that will be something from 1998 or will it be from 1988 when the car was built?
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:53 pm

The cassette deck worked up until the late 90's when moms cassette got chewed up. Been using my cassette mp3 smart phone adaptor today and the quality is quite impressive. :D
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:30 pm

It is with sadness that I report that 250UCX failed the MOT miserably today. The same as last year (headlamp aim) but also including rot in structural areas. At the moment, it is uneconomical to repair. I want to keep this car I have inherited, but I don’t want to keep patching it up every year only for it to fail repeatedly each time. So.. I will mothball again it for now until I have a pot full of wonga to do a proper full strip of the body to repair and fit the replacement body panels and paraphernalia that I have accumulated specially for this ground up restoration.

At present I’m hardly earning so I might as well wait since I can until the right time for this. It’s a shame because I thought it would pass the MOT with only 3 advisories and this car really does drive like a dream (excuse the pun) after just being serviced.

There is still a month of MOT left, so I’m thinking to use it for a couple more weeks (because there is ¾ of petrol left) and then transfer the insurance over to the 827 manual coupe Brad sold me, which only (I say only) needs the cambelt/water pump wanting and taxing. I'll only be using the car 2 days a week now but I doubt this will make zero difference to my premium.

What more to say apart from watch this space and thanks for everybody’s support. Quite possibly 250UCX will live to rover another day, another year. :)
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:46 pm

Is the structural rot just in the outer sills or elsewhere?
No longer an 800 owner!

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:58 pm

Here's what it failed on - warts an all;-

Date of test:
09/04/2014
Certificate issue refused (Fail)

Odometer reading:
120,476 Miles
Test number:
Test station name:
CARTEC OF BRADFORD LTD
Test station number:
Test station telephone number:
Test class:
IV
Reason(s) for refusal to issue Certificate

Both Headlamp aim too low

Front Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)

Nearside Steering rack gaiter split (2.2.D.2d)

Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.3)

Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.3)

Nearside outer sill Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is excessively corroded (5.2.6)

Advisory Notice issued

Adv front bumper damaged

Osr wing corroded
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage