Shaun's Vitesse

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Slamm
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Shaun's Vitesse

Post by Slamm » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:27 pm

Well its been off the road too long, time to pull the covers off and get stuck in. Car has been run frequently and serviced but I haven't been underneath for a while, got a bit of a shock.

This

Soon became this

Usual bumper brackets

Been saving these a while

Car turned round a view from below

Looking a bit crusty underneath, but I have everything to replace what you can see. A lot from CHRI5E when he had a clear out, some of which he'd already re-furbed :D
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Shaun's Vitesse

Post by CHR15E » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:48 pm

Hope the bits serve you well mate. :D

Probably along with only a couple of cars one of the only ones from the early days of the group/forum.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:17 pm

CHR15E wrote:Hope the bits serve you well mate. :D

Probably along with only a couple of cars one of the only ones from the early days of the group/forum.

Said I wouldn't get rid of it, part of the family much to my wife's dismay.

All the parts I got off you have been stripped, treated, primed and painted just need to sort under the car first, I seem to be making holes every where at the moment.
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:59 pm

Rear hubs and suspension removed and started cleaning and de-rusting the back end.

I think these must be extra drainage holes above the exhaust mount

Rear exhaust shield :(

Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:16 am

Be careful how far you go. I speak from experience. :D
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:46 pm

A few area's cleaned up, treated with rust converter and zinc primed. Not a pleasant job laid on your back.

Before

The rear end of both sills where they join the rear wheel arch have rusted through in the usual place. It doesn't look too bad at the moment so will probably get cut out and patched, but if it comes to the worst I have two new sills which MG Mal had done a few years ago
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

TDHFastback

Post by TDHFastback » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:48 pm

Its a good thread this
I like seeing peoples cars being brought back to life.Look forward to the next instalment.

Kate :D
D reg Rover 820Si Saloon. No space for a a saloon in this rootin tootin town
G reg Rover 820SE Fastback (my every day runabout) that ran off.
G reg Rover 827Si police Fastback (last Mk1 jam sandwich)
V reg Rover 825 Sterling Fastback (end of an era)

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:08 pm

Spot the difference :shock:

Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:18 pm

Great job you are doing there
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:14 pm

Managed to get a few hours in at the weekend, mainly cleaning up the underside and made a start on the rear n/side sill.

Phone pictures i'm afraid, not very good quality seem to make everything look brown.

A few minutes with the angle grinder to cut the rot out

Left me with a neat hole, inner sill fine just a bit of surface rust

Made some templates out of card, then transferred them to steal and welded in. Think the sills must have been cavity waxed in the past as it kept catching fire as I was welding :shock:

Then all cleaned up and zinc primer

Also cleaned and painted centre exhaust heat shield, before and after

Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

Jon R
Regular Visitor

Post by Jon R » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:02 pm

Nice neat work there Shaun, and the zinc primer will help the repairs to last.
What paint did you use on the heat shield ?

Jon

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:15 pm

Jon R wrote:Nice neat work there Shaun, and the zinc primer will help the repairs to last.
What paint did you use on the heat shield ?

Jon
Hi Jon, looks better in the pics than real life but I think once its painted and under sealed shouldn't be too visible.

The heat shield had a quick wiz over with wire brush on grinder then some rust converter and Simoniz very high temperature paint,not that I think it gets that hot, its just what I had on the shelf.
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

Jon R
Regular Visitor

Post by Jon R » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:50 pm

I'm sure you'll get the finished job looking good, it's well on its way.
Are you taking your car to Longbridge ?

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:59 pm

I was planning on going to Longbridge not been for a couple of years. Was hoping to take the Vitesse or failing that my MG ZT, but the Z now needs another engine and progress on the Rover is a bit slow. Will have to get some overtime in down the garage.
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:21 pm

Well extract the digit and get on with it man! :)
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT