Re: 1994 BRG Vitesse Fastback

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

SJG
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by SJG » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:32 am

This is the original post of user "820vitesse" moved to the first thread topic via my account:

This is my pride and joy (and time and money pit) a Mk2 BRG Fastback Vitesse 180hp model.
I worked in a Rover dealership when these were released new and always liked them, the way they drive, the body styles and shapes. Along with all the T16 turbo variants at that time I felt it was a big leap forward for Rover and their range, they were producing some of the best cars in class, I still cant believe Rover and all the industry associated with it have been allowed to fold.
I left Rover as the dealership changed brand and for a few years worked with other brands till I decided to get my first big Rover and found this one, first registered to Barclays bank in 1994, I bought the car in 2001 with 87,500 miles on the clock. Really nice condition with all the gadgets working that is how it stayed for a couple of years.
This is the car completely standard soon after I took ownership.

I liked it so much I wanted to improve it a little, Initially it was just Spax lowering springs, a Mongoose stainless exhaust system and decat with a bit more boost.

Then I fitted Sport 17” 6 spokes, an NX nitrous kit and a T28 turbo that soon finished off the clutch and eventually blew a hole through a piston.

So a set of forged replica pistons were ordered from the USA, no forged pistons were available back then so they were one-offs, the engine was rebuilt with a ported cylinder head and a large front intercooler fitted, the boost was raised and a paddle clutch fitted. Still using the MEMS ECU the inevitable happened and melted another piston.

Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by CHR15E » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:22 am

I remember seeing that article years back. When's it from 2003/4?

I got a bit of stick off my mates at work at the time for saying that the number plate was wrong for the age of the car. :D

Is it a show plate you use or something?
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:31 am

That is some serious money and work, I like very much 8)
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:19 pm

Thanks, yes the number plate is just for show, would love to own it but it already belongs to someone and cant fit it to mine anyway, if I could get it I would consider buying a later V17ESS specially for it.
The Redline article was 2003, it was quite funny on the day as nobody expected those figures especially me (I am sure the Rolling road was reading high)
The workshop that ran the tests is a Porsche tuner and did not like the fact I had effectivly just bolted on an extra 140hp, referring to it as a crude cheap source of power running so rich that it was off the scale, this was intentional to try and prevent detonation which in the end did kill the engine.

I have referred to the power and handling side of the car as that is where it is now but for the first few years I was obsessive about keeping the car immaculate, used to drive the wife and kids mad, the interior had to be spotless and nothing left in the car, I changed the rear lights from amber to clear, fitted later door panels for the "Rover" inlay in the wood trims and it got a full valet type clean every fortnight.

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:33 pm

Always nice to be the underdog. :D
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:46 pm

Ah ha! The TOTB Handling winner arrives!

Glad to see you here - I found your website back in the day when Eldest brother put a T/M16 hybrid turbo in his SIII Landy... Fun times

Hope the car is still going strong - May I be cheeky sometime and pick your brains RE: Suspension upgrades - I'm currently running Koni Reds (unknown vintage/condition but still superior to OEM fit) with police spec rear springs and Vit sport ARBs (and 285mm brakes)

I'm very interested in the Leda units you've got fitted - Eldest brother has some rather neat dampers on his MX5 that are the perfect combination of high/low speed bump/rebound to give a comfortable yet agile ride - something which the 800 is lacking in comparison to todays machinery

welcome to the forum and keep us posted please :-)
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:58 am

Alucard7002 wrote:Ah ha! The TOTB Handling winner arrives!

Glad to see you here - I found your website back in the day when Eldest brother put a T/M16 hybrid turbo in his SIII Landy... Fun times

Hope the car is still going strong - May I be cheeky sometime and pick your brains RE: Suspension upgrades - I'm currently running Koni Reds (unknown vintage/condition but still superior to OEM fit) with police spec rear springs and Vit sport ARBs (and 285mm brakes)

I'm very interested in the Leda units you've got fitted - Eldest brother has some rather neat dampers on his MX5 that are the perfect combination of high/low speed bump/rebound to give a comfortable yet agile ride - something which the 800 is lacking in comparison to todays machinery

welcome to the forum and keep us posted please :-)
Thank you for all the positive comments, much appreciated, sorry bit slow to reply.
The car is just back on the road after 7 years in the garage with a few more modifications, I must update this thread.

Alucard7002 your set up sounds very good and well balanced all round, where as mine all at the front, I hope to go adjustable coilovers at the back when I get a chance.

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:59 pm

Bit of a jump forward in time to the present for this thread as I took the car to Brands Hatch for a track evening last month and took some in-car video. Spent most of the time keeping out the way of the more experienced drivers as I got used to the Rover again and learned the circuit. The new big brakes developed severe judder just a couple of laps in so braking was limited to avoiding shaking the car to bits but got a few good laps in towards the end.
I think the old Vitesse surprised a few with its pace despite the brakes and my lack of track knowledge.

Video

Last edited by 820Vitesse on Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:16 pm

I saw your video over on Retro Rides, great to see your car back on the road and track. I went to Blyton Park in Lincolnshire last year on a track day(not in Vitesse) Was a real eye opener when up against proper track cars. Makes you realise how slow "fast" road cars are :lol:
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:55 pm

Thanks for the replies. I think it could become a bug like most things we enjoy, wish I had done more years ago, its such a great way to get it all out your system and drive more calmly on the road.
I plan to go again August/September time with the brakes fixed, an oil cooler fitted, a little bit more boost and better track knowledge.

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:58 am

Great video, looks like the kind of thing I'd really enjoy. I liked the 'getting-to-know-you' laps just as much really.
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:47 pm

Thanks mercedade.
mrpcpc, "duration of caning" or DOC could be a new measurement, it was something that I found hard to do for first few laps, I reckon a DOC of 10 laps is a sensible limit for a modified engine that you have to drive home again, for a high mileage engine a DOC of just 3 to 5 laps keeping an eye in the mirror for blue smoke is probably maximum before a cool down.

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:18 pm

I went back to Brands Hatch for another track evening, improved a few parts since last visit, planned to get the discs skimmed on the car at a local garage but didnt like the look of the place and drove straight back out so they still need to be done.
I wanted to do one more track day before the weather turned so still have judder for now (only on the track, fine on the road)
Much quicker this time, getting to know the circuit a bit better and the Vitesse again. I think the old barge surprised a few people this time.

First two warm up laps I got black flagged by mistake and couldnt find second gear at Druids but third lap got going and had a good few laps.

Second time out plan as to do two warm up laps and let the black Peugeot through to get some film but oil on the circuit caused several cars to spin and caught me out, thought I had a puncture.

Turn your volume up the old Rover sounds great.
Last edited by 820Vitesse on Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:49 am

she does sound sweet and revs nicely through the gears. weather looked perfect you which is always the gamble with a track day.
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:22 am

Looking a lot quicker than last time and sounds great.
Bit of an arse clenching moment the second time out :lol:
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback