Project Shitesse (1993 827 Sterling Manual)

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Project Shitesse (1993 827 Sterling Manual)

Post by Alucard7002 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:43 pm

So I'm in the middle of refurbishing a house.

I was using my 820 for everything from tip runs to builders merchant shopping trips (and picking up a caravan of all things!)

Poor thing was taking a bit of a beating and I didn't fancy damaging any more interior or exterior components (Towbar scuffed rear bumper, scratched my Mothers reupholstered seats, roof rack marking paint :oops: )

Then SOMEONE mentioned they had an 827 Sterling Fastback for sale...

Whoops! :roll:

Not planning on doing any work to either car until I finish the house bar the necessary maintenance.

Plan is to use the 827 for the muckier jobs and suchlike on the basis it's a little rough around the edges but very solid mechanically. (hence the rear seat squab, headrests and parcel shelf are already in storage and the roof racks are on!)

Also the fact I kind of fancied trying/having an 827 manual...

In addition to that, two matching 800 fastbacks smarten up any car park... right? :lol:

BIG thank you to Alex SBY
Last edited by Alucard7002 on Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

TDHFastback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: 1993 827 Sterling Manual

Post by TDHFastback » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:20 pm

Certainly righ there re smartening up your car park 8) 8)

Vey nice (though two can lead to three etc etc :roll: :roll: )

Kate :D
D reg Rover 820Si Saloon. No space for a a saloon in this rootin tootin town
G reg Rover 820SE Fastback (my every day runabout) that ran off.
G reg Rover 827Si police Fastback (last Mk1 jam sandwich)
V reg Rover 825 Sterling Fastback (end of an era)

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:12 pm

Needed a trailer plate

So treated it to a set of shiny new plain jane plates (Much nicer IMHO, cleaner and tidier looking already)

If it's squiff I blame Rover for bolting the number plate mountings on squiff from the factory!

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:31 am

So the dogmobile lives!

I bought this off Alex back in October as a hack and believe me it's been treated as such.

Now before I get flamed for saying the above:

1: I have actually taken care of the car mechanically- just not cared about the odd ding/scratch/muck as I normally do
2: I'm fully aware of the work that was put into it by Alex, Vard and co. and I do appreciate that.
3: It's still around and in full use

Now I bought it knowing full well just how shockingly bad it was rust wise - Alex knew this and sold it to me in good faith. I have no reservations and would once again like to thank Alex for selling it to me!

Now onto the not so pretty stuff... those who are squeamish may want to look away.

Rust

Oh dear god RUST

HOW IS THIS EVEN STILL.. you know what I don't care - sod it, the shell is completely gone I'm just going to bash some plates on to get it another MOT when the time comes!

What I was initially greeted with - not that horrendous at first glance

Smack it with an 'ammer until lumps stop falling off and... (Just to reiterate, I knew it was rotten before I started)

That would explain the creaking, the sodden boot, and the iffy electrics.
The ENTIRE inner wheel arch had rusted away to the point where there is ZERO strength in that section of the car, as the rear wheel is somewhat of a McPhearson strut this allowed the rear wheel to move a rather large amount under load. You could feel it move by varying amounts depending on how you drove it (and I'll be honest with that ludicrously addictive noise... who wouldn't! :twisted: )

Anyhow,

Commence operation bean tin patching (AKA "Press 'n' stick")

Dig out some 1.2mm plate from the scraps box - cut it into 30mmx 80mm bits (ish)

Eldest brother wants a go hot-melt-gluing and promptly welds a plate on in such a way to effectively weld the rear door shut *faceplams* Gee thanks Marko!

Drivers side was actually ok apart from a little on the sill end

After regaining some air into my lungs and cutting off the freshly applied patch, operation Press 'n' Stick continued

Back over to the passenger side

By this point our stocks of scrap 1.2mm plate are dwindling and I didn't fancy breaking into a new full sheet - dug around and found an X308 front wing in our spares pile "Marko, mind if I use this for repair patches?"

Removed what remained of the original rear wheel arch and "grafted" on the x308 arch (Read as tack it on at one end and hit it with a hammer until it fits where it touches)

Cut out the rest of the rot - also discovered the very shonky sill repair done previously - 0.8mm sheet steel tacked on with a gasless mig after cutting out the ENTIRERETY of the structural inner sill. Doesn't matter - it will probably outlast the rest of the car anyhow, just praying I don't have a smack in it :shock:

Some rather large holes resulted - attack it with an angle grinder fitted with the worlds most aggressive wire cup brush and begin stitching it back together. No really stitching, I cut away as much as I dared without bracing the shell and still there were areas where I was attempting to weld rust.

Glorious aubergine purple "repair" patches a la Jaguar

Many HOURS spent cramped inside the wheelarch with welding spatter adding to my collection of car related scars and we have the worlds patchiest collection of patches - would make the knit your own spaghetti brigade happy :lol:

Phew! Yes it's pigeon poo "welding" No I don't care - it's stuck

If you folks hadn't already guessed I am fully aware that this is not a repair - this is a BODGE of epic proportions.

Is it safe? Yes (on the basis the car no longer tries to punt you backwards a la Porsche for attempting to go around a roundabout...)
Would I do it to a car I have the intention to sell? No
Would I do this to a car for someone else or to a "keeper"? No

Moving on

Gave everything a goodly wire brush then a glorious coat of BLACK

The aftermath of BLACK is never pretty - even with latex gloves...

I do apologise to the Ladies present, nobody wants to see that - Mother was at least amused enough to snap a picture :roll:

To finish, a carefully applied coat of Aldi not-even-remotely-close British Racing Green

I did go back and give it another coat before you ask!

And there we have it - a pair of fine machines ready to tackle another who knows how many miles between them!

To finalise - Do not do this to your own car unless you REALLY are going to be it's last keeper before the bean tins become more bean tins.

I cannot stress this strongly enough.

I hope my writings gave you a smile :D

For an example of how to do it - this is my mates Peugeot 106 that I welded up for him "properly" (to the best of my knowledge and ability at the time)
Welding OEM 0.6mm steel with 0.8mm welding wire is hard at the best of times - Lesson learned, next time I'm learning how to TIG or buying and Aluminium bodied car!

As for the future of the 827 it can go a few of ways:

1: Samson (My Aunts old Mini Clubman) Needed tops £50 and one more patch per MOT
2: One more MOT then bean tins
3: Same as option 1 but deliberate "thug mobile" think like the Rat Patrol 820 of Alex's rocking 16" Steelies
4: Similar to option 3 but give my little cousins a box of every-colour-under-the-sun sharpies and let them go nuts with their creativity - then blow a coat of lacquer over it for laughs

Or the current option which is lend it to The Old Man to use for tip runs as his Jag doesn't have a towbar - after welding on an old XJ40 back box to stop him complaining about the noise... :roll:

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:53 am

That was some effort, I do get the logic. Just. :D

I would have just weighed it in though.

At the risk of being rude the first time I ever saw that car when Dave had it looked ropey.

Has to be a candidate for the rustiest 800?
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:57 am

CHR15E wrote:That was some effort, I do get the logic. Just. :D

I would have just weighed it in though.

At the risk of being rude the first time I ever saw that car when Dave had it looked ropey.

Has to be a candidate for the rustiest 800?
It was a case of - it needs doing as the car was actually getting to the point of being dangerous.

I needed a hack at the time - the 820 is just too nice of a daily driver to treat as such.

I got to wield a MIG for a week solid and learned just how hard it is to make a hash job compared to doing it properly.

It was FUN! :lol:

Most likely a candidate for the rustiest 800 - the sill bodges are already going at the seams so before long the floor is going to fall out the bottom of it :shock:

It will get used and abused as a family/company hack and may even make it's way abroad for a banger rally as a final send off if I have the time!

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:05 pm

Just got project Shitesse through another MOT

2x plates in the middle of the sills

1x plate over the remains of the front jacking point...
(MOT man lifted car up to wiggle front suspension - jacking point rips free of sill and pushes up into the floor! Bash it further up, weld a plate over the lot, bash it back down with a bigger hammer, weld it some more)

1x plate on rear chassis leg by anti-roll bar

1x new ball joint boot

"Not bad nick for 300k" MOT man says :shock:

Gasless mig bodgeness, it's so rotten from the inside out that even 0.6mm wire blows through on the lowest setting... My solution? Turn up the wire feed to many, hold the torch 4 inches away, spatter enough metal on top to then run a "bead" that holds the plate in place.

It's slowly turning into the car I want, the type that people take one look at then step away from in fear of contracting tetanus!

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:23 am

Well done on gaining another 365 days reprieve from the Heinz factory! Long may that continue!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:52 pm

first time i've seen an 800 rot around a filler pipe :shock: it is usually the other way round. Nice work Dusan, did you go to the Jeremy Clarkson school of body repairs and paint :lol:
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:30 am

rovercoup wrote:first time i've seen an 800 rot around a filler pipe :shock: it is usually the other way round.
A lot more common than you think.

The crud trapped above the pipe is what causes it.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:08 am

Cheers folks, it was amusing. It's nearly there in terms of appearance.

I need to get it "finished" soon as the car is so rotten that you can see the tailgate moving on the seals over bumps in the road (seats down)

If you reach you hand up to the inner fluffy "seals" between the door and roof, then jam your fingers in the gap. As you drive you can FEEL the gap open and close as the entire shell twists like a pretzel! :shock:

But, it starts first time, every time, all the oily + suspension bits are actually ok underneath, not perfect as polybushes are clonking and dampers are shot. But all balljoints, wishbones, steering etc. are fine. Gearbox is sweet even if the linkage is a little wobbly. Clutch is a PITA at the moment as I need to remove the clutch damper, bridge, bleed and rublicate the release arm (Rust + lubrication = rublicate for the uninitiated)

A testament to the work done by Alex, Vard and Co. in it's previous life.

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:21 am

You can buy (or make seeing as you're handy with the electric glue) strut braces to fit between the rear shock towers. That would help prevent the shell twisting a bit but might interfere with the load lugging ability.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:54 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:You can buy (or make seeing as you're handy with the electric glue) strut braces to fit between the rear shock towers. That would help prevent the shell twisting a bit but might interfere with the load lugging ability.
One could but you've answered your own question there - I don't care that it twists... much! It's just alarming how BAD it is.

Fastbacks were never great in the first place thanks to the lack of a steel rear parcel shelf , but this is just bonkers. Park it up a kerb and force the door open bonkers!

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

Alucard7002

Re: Project Shitesse (1993 827 Sterling Manual)

Post by Alucard7002 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:26 am

Just got an email from eldest brother who is borrowing Project Shitesse...

The chassis needs some reinforcement as the towbar has ripped 3 of the 4 mounting holes out of the rear chassis legs! :shock:

That's what happens when you're towing a 1.5t trailer with a rotten 800 I guess!

Watch this space for a slightly better "repair" job!

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Project Shitesse (1993 827 Sterling Manual)

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:34 am

Alucard7002 wrote:Just got an email from eldest brother who is borrowing Project Shitesse...

The chassis needs some reinforcement as the towbar has ripped 3 of the 4 mounting holes out of the rear chassis legs! :shock:

That's what happens when you're towing a 1.5t trailer with a rotten 800 I guess!

Watch this space for a slightly better "repair" job!

Oops! Depending where that happened, it could cause a bit of a headache!

On the good side, you now know the 4th mounting hole is solid! :wink: :D :lol:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate