Mk1 827 Si Saloon

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

n1tr0_9
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Mk1 827 Si Saloon

Post by n1tr0_9 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:13 pm

What do you do when you have a job that eats up most of your time, a drift car you don't have time to use, and a long-term Rover restoration project for which you are meant to be saving up money for?.....

...well you buy another Rover of course!

Its the Pride of Longbridge Rally this weekend, and i was bummed that i don't have a fun retro Rover to drive around in, so i started browsing Ebay to see what i could find for a reasonable price. Cue this Rover 827 Si. I didnt have time to view it before the auction end so i took the gamble, placed a bid and won it. I caught the train over to Essex last night and picked it up. Overall im over the moon with it.

Ive never had an 800 before and its been a real surprise. Its fast, responsive, comfy and handles pretty well. This car has only done 49,000 miles, and it feels like a new car. The interior is very nice, all electrics work apart from the offside wing mirror and heated rear screen.

The worst thing about the car is the bodywork. It looks ok from a distance, but the front wings are crap, the bottom edges of the doors are going and its crusty around the rear arches. The previous owner daubed some antirust wax on the rusty bits which makes it look nastier than it actually is, and has kept the rust from developing further. But it really needs some proper love.

I plan on tidying it up a bit without spending mega money, and using it. But i may also just sell it on if i find someone who wants to take it on, because the danger is i get side tracked and don't finish my other projects. Having said that i really enjoy hooning around in it, it sounds awesome at full chat!!!

zcar12
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Mk1 827 Si Saloon

Post by zcar12 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:25 pm

Obligatory petrol station shots. Looks like a very decent car. You should be able to tidy up the bodywork with out spending a shed load of money on it. Looks very good as it is! Enjoy your car!

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:25 am

Lovely, lovely stuff!
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

n1tr0_9
Regular Visitor

Post by n1tr0_9 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:17 pm

Every time i drive this car i like it a bit more. It doesn't even rattle much, the only rattle so far comes from the front bumper, which is bizarre.

We had a works drinks evening last night. I used the car to collected a colleague, again they were impressed with how smooth, comfy and responsive it is.

I let another colleague take it for a spin at lunch today. He enjoyed himself making full use of sport mode. It really goes well if you keep the throttle pinned. No wonder the Police liked them.

I found the washer squirters are pretty feeble. I think they may be blocked somewhere. I haven't had time to investigate the heated rear window, but hey its nearly summer so i wont be needing it any time soon.

Ive booked tomorrow off work to try and tidy some of the cosmetics. Wish me luck!

midnite
Rover Guru

Post by midnite » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:01 pm

you need new number plates, the rear window sticker needs removing, it would look ok in a metro, but you have to remember your driving a prestige automobile, and thus have to have a much superior attitude towards other drivers who upon looking at the lines of the 827 can only dream of a lifestyle attained when driving an 827.
fleet now includes
89 827 sterling auto saloon grey dead and gone
90 827 sli auto saloon pulsar silver
91 820 i special edition flaming hell red
99 820 vitesse turbo sport manual nightfire rust sold to a better owner than i

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:07 am

midnite wrote: you have to remember your driving a prestige automobile, and thus have to have a much superior attitude towards other drivers who upon looking at the lines of the 827 can only dream of a lifestyle attained when driving an 827.
Especially when encountering BMW and Audi drivers.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

n1tr0_9
Regular Visitor

Post by n1tr0_9 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:18 am

That sticker is one of the things that sold the car to me. That and the Austin Rover keyfob.

Should this car have remote keyfob locking? as i only have 1 normal key?

gyrobird
Regular Visitor

Post by gyrobird » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:28 am

Yes it should it it's the early type with the single button fob which was pretty poor really.

You had to be right by the door on these for it to work and then it wouldn't always work.

An after market RF alarm system is your best bet and simply wire into the central locking circuit.

It's very easy if you look at the wiring diagrams for the central locking.

n1tr0_9
Regular Visitor

Post by n1tr0_9 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:15 pm

I took today off work so I could tackle a few jobs on the car before the Pride of Longbridge tomorrow. On my to do list was address some of the cosmetics. Unfortunately it pissed it down with rain here so I couldn't work outside. Instead I did some really limited and basically bodge type repairs to make it look ok from a distance.

The previous owner had applied some tar like wax stuff on the rusty areas to prevent the spread of rust. Good idea, but it gets everywhere. I kept getting it on my hands and my clothes and its a pain to clean off. Anyway, an hour and a litre of petrol later and it was all off. The rust is mostly surface rust, apart from the wings which are shot. So I ground back the worst of it and brush painted it with british racing green. It looks crap, but its better than the black tar like stuff. I plan on doing proper repairs at a later date. Hopefully tomorrow, from a long distance and squinting it will look ok. Ill be cunning with the photos I take to make it look passable!

I had better success with some other smaller jobs. I cleaned out all the washer jets so they work properly now. I think I need to fit a one way valve as there doesn't appear to be one, so it takes a while for the fluid to come through.

The cigarette lighter wasn't working so I couldn't run y sat nav. This was just a blown fuse, so and easy fix. While I was in this area, I took out the digital clock. The back illumination wasn't working, so i took it apart and soldered in a new bulb, so now that works too. Ran out of time after that. I haven't even cleaned it, but I think it'll be raining tomorrow so not much point!

Looks ok from a distance

The car came with a new offside front wing. I just need a nearside now.

Also came with Austin Rover badges on stuff. Love it.

Original dealer plates, shame they need replacing now.

Decent boot liner

midnite
Rover Guru

Post by midnite » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:28 pm

i had the same dealer plates on mine with the little rover emblem at the bottom, mine were knackered n all.
fleet now includes
89 827 sterling auto saloon grey dead and gone
90 827 sli auto saloon pulsar silver
91 820 i special edition flaming hell red
99 820 vitesse turbo sport manual nightfire rust sold to a better owner than i

n1tr0_9
Regular Visitor

Post by n1tr0_9 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:50 pm

Were you able to get them re done in a similar way? Ive noticed the rear plate is a bit bigger than a standard number plate too.

mjc9967
Rover Guru

Post by mjc9967 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:48 pm

Yep check if fancyplates.com are still around. Their email is info@fancyplates.com

Correct original pre 2001 font (79x57mm, not euro compliant rubbish), rover/BAe fleet number plate badges and oversize rear plate done for my Red Mk1. Front plate - standard size with rounded corners, rear plate 525 x 130mm with SHARP corners - this fills the reflector recess perfectly as done on fleet cars like yours.

I think if you emailed him (Michael) photos of your plates he should get the spacing and positioning of everything just right.

Under 20 quid for the set, emailed back and forth with designs first to make sure I was happy. I reckon you could send photos of yours and even get the characters spaced out exactly as original!

Pics of mine are on page 5 of this thread of mine:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1383&start=60

Note the badges are not quite correct but that is because I did not have a correct example to copy - yours ARE correct!!! :D
Mark

91H 820i Auto F/B Nordic Blue 32k
91H 820i Auto F/B Nightfire 65k
99V 825 Sterling Auto 4dr BRG 77k

mjc9967
Rover Guru

Post by mjc9967 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:00 am

PS just checked, think they are still there, don't bother with their online design tool, it doesn't have what your looking for...

Good idea to call them to discuss your requirements witht he info above, 00353 7193 00817. Michael was the guy that helped me.

They're in RoI but near border with the North, so they pop them into UK mail which was a nice touch for convenience and cost.
Mark

n1tr0_9
Regular Visitor

Post by n1tr0_9 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:35 pm

Cool, thanks for all the advice on the plates, exactly what i was after. Ill give them a ring next week.

After all my preparations yesterday, i got up at 5:30am and was in the car driving at 6am. It took 15 mins for a problem to arise. The front drivers caliper started binding up. I got a rhythmic humming noise so i pulled over and smelt hot brakes. I got to a petrol station and took the wheel off. After some tinkering it was OK again so i carried on. Did a further 300 miles today and the problem didnt manifest itself again. Even so, ill be stripping all the brakes and probably fit 4 new discs, pads, and re grease all the guide pins. I may need front calipers, dont know for sure yet.

Anyway, the next problem was the weather. Lots of sleet on the M40 made driving onerous. Glad i fixed the windscreen washers! Then the M40 was closed due to a truck accident. Fortunately when i got there 1 lane had reopened so not a massive issue.

Finally i got the the event ground to find out the even was cancelled!!!!

What a shame. The British Spring weather meant we couldnt use the park, so the event took place on the streets outside, reminiscent of a 1990's car cruise. Ahhh my youth!

I got there about 10am and stayed till around 1pm, then made the long trek back south again. All the time i was there it was sunny, so cant complain too much.

I met some friendly faces, including Dave and David amongst others. Thanks for all the tips and advice. I also got to check out another 827 so i can see what the engine bay will look like once its cleaned up.

James

My trusty steed

Others

mjc9967
Rover Guru

Post by mjc9967 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:00 am

Nice pics James.

Looks like you're doing some fine fettling there. Especially the little things that can make such a difference to overall feel.

I reckon this could be a very nice example when you get through everything you want to do. (It's nice already of course!)
Mark