Rover rat thing

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
zcar
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Rover rat thing

Post by zcar » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:25 pm

Oh dear lord...... Be warned the following contains vile images of rover abuse.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1996-ROVER-82 ... Swkl5XfAnT

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Re: Rover rat thing

Post by BlueRover » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:57 pm

Needs burning. No part of that is good. I'd rather buy a complete hearse.
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:07 pm

I hope the guy knows more about custom bikes and choppers than cars! So many stupid mistakes about the car itself without mentioning the biggest one he made with it i.e. turning a perfectly good hearse into a f****d-up pick-up truck!

There was a guy on "George Clarkes Amazing Spaces" turned a Granada Mk3 hearse into a camper and sprayed it Purple Velvet (aka Cadburys purple) and that was pretty cool but that pick-up truck sucks! None of the mods have been done well, witness the tailboard/bumper that drops down or off.

Out of the 3 different body styles for the 800, the best choice for a pick-up would be the fastback IMHO as the rear wings sweep upwards slightly - that said the coupe has longer doors so would have the back of the cab far enough behind the front seats to give a comfortable cab.
Then again, weld the rear doors shut on a fastback, brace the B pillars with some hefty box section, remove the tailgate and chop the back half of the roof off and hey-presto, an 800 pick-up! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by CHR15E » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:26 am

What feels like a lifetime ago now I once chopped the roof off a coupe. Looking at it now I wish I'd put a bit more effort in.

I was pushed for time so it was a bit of an after thought tbh. Hence the bumper angle etc.

Before I touched it.

And the reason it was scrap, along with shot rear arches etc.

Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:42 am

That actually looks a lot better than the black thing Chris - i'm still surprised that Rover didn't launch an 800 drop-top of some description.

Given the damage on the right hand side you're forgiven! :wink: :lol: It looks like it was either T-boned or it side-swiped something, any idea what happened?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:58 pm

I guess it would have been a huge job to adapt into something safe?

Honestly not a clue on it's history, it'd changed hands about 4 times with them each having the intention of repairing it.

Obviously anything can be repaired but it was in such a state. I wish I'd had more time to follow the soft top idea. A few simple improvements would have had it looking half decent.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:37 pm

Even as a concept car idea you could have got it looking quite good Chris, maybe even got it properly fixed for road use. Looking at the damage to the drivers side i suspect it may well have needed a body jig though so potentially not viable.

The coupé is inherently the strongest/stiffest body shape in the 800 range so may not have needed much stiffening to make safe but i think a combined roll-over bar/T-Bar roof section (similar to the old Stags* - think it was the Stag that had the T-bar roof anyway) would probably work well, not just aesthetically but for stiffening the shell too. A couple of Targa-top roof panels with a half-soft top behind the roll-over bar would be a unique (and if done properly) nice looking conversion.

EDIT

* it was the Stag i was thinking of, this listing shows what i mean :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BUILD-YOUR-OW ... SweWVXdQOk
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:40 am

I like that a lot. I've often wondered if Rover had a long term plan to develop a convertable 800 from the coupe if they hadn't abandoned the US market. The ingredients are all there, ready for the chop: frameless doors, stiffened bodyshell (cross-bracing behind the rear seats, those non-stuctural sill covers that may actually be structural) and a massive boot that could easily accomodate a folding roof and golf bats.

Has anyone ever made a serious go at a home-brewed conversion?
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:59 am

If you have a look on aronline Tom, there are a couple of concept convertables based on the 800 coupé - all very nice looking with American styling cues which are a hint to the anticipated market. Imagine Hollywood Boulevard or Route 66 with the roof down, shades on in an 827 convertable......... 8) 8) 8) :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate