Alucard7002 - Mk2b 820Si Fastback - Pic Heavy!

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Alucard7002 - Mk2b 820Si Fastback - Pic Heavy!

Post by Alucard7002 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:46 pm

Thanks Simon, been 3 long 12+ hour days + half a day Sunday.

So long in fact I didn't finish yesterday until gone midnight - hence no update last night!

Two day update in one post, here we go - enjoy!

Managed to fix/bodge my LPG system. Turns out I had cooked one bank of the injector drivers inside the ECU. Normally that would be a terminal failure and a new ECU needed. Luckily my LPG ECU can also run 6cyl and 8cyl engines... you can see where this is going right?

Yup, my LPG system now thinks that it is running a V8 engine yet only firing on one bank thanks to some electrical wizardry. Easy fix that saved me forking out £200 for a new ECU. Now If I can get another 50k out of the other half of the ECU then I think that will do!

First port of call was to finish the welding with the newly restocked Argoshield Gas.

Got a few good beads here and there - unfortunately I'm no pro welder so there were a few ugly bits. I just remember the following:

"Grinder and paint, makes me the welder I ain't!"

I had some rusty door bottoms to take care of too.

I'll take a photo of the paint once the car is outside and in the sun! Near perfect colour match from a Halford tin would you believe!

First rough coat of filler on the welds.

Wheel arches were cleaned up and Shutz'd, you can see the new KYBs and rear discs.

Second coat of filler, then a quick blast with primer just to see how bad the "wibble" is along the sill

Not perfect but more than good enough - if I wasn't so time limited I'd have gone back again and again with longer sanding blocks to really neaten it up. Something I can do in the future if it bothers me that much :lol:

Next on my list - Gearbox linkage. I'll be posting a How-To thread for this later tonight

Finally after 4 or 5 years I fixed the sheared front bumper mounting bolt. Bit of plate with a bolt welded on, pop riveted to the bumper and then glued in with plastic bumper filler (extra flexible body filler basically)

Tomorrow is painting day. hopefully I'll get the car outside and, in the sun. Won't be washed for obvious reasons but will be nice to see at least.

Until then folks :D
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Nuts4my827 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:56 am

Liking the look of those little clamps. Might get some. Ive got sills to weld on, and other things I am doing.

Just got a big bottle of Argoshield gas, sick of those little bottles. you get from Machine Mart.
Jayar.co.uk do a brilliant system. Just pay a £50.00 deposit for the bottle and pay for the gas you use. No rental like BOC

Made a rather good welding trolley and a rack for my supermarket crates
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:31 am

Some good work there and not hanging around either :shock:

I've had good colour match with Halfords paint but unfortunately have to get it mixed now as no longer stocked

Shaun
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:37 am

More good work! In that 50k miles, you could almost certainly find another King/Alesi/Zavoli ECU on fleabay for tuppence ha'penny and a brass farthing.
I recently picked up another Leo ECU with loom, switch and actuator for under a tenner posted, i know that's the basic system compared to yours but SGi ECUs come up from time to time at sensible prices as well.

Looking forward to the "how to" on the gear linkage - do you now not have to reach into the boot to change to/from 2nd/4th/reverse? :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:38 pm

Phil, good shout on Jayar.co.uk for Gas, can't seem to see it on their website though, only the disposable ones.

TheOldMan found a chap locally who is a mobile welder and has MANY bottles lying around and an account at BOC. We just pay for the gas we use to the tune £36 for a X size BOC bottle.

Can definitely recommend Argoshield Light over CO2 though, much nicer welds and the arc is mare stable with much less splatter.

Shaun, thanks for the comments, I can't afford to hang around this time, I have to be back home by Monday and I have so much other stuff to do this weekend it's mad. A few years ago I had time to spare and could make a neater job of it.

Halfords paint is not actually that bad, though the clear lacquer is rubbish and would need lots of wet sanding back to remove the orange peel finish from it.

Dave, That's my plan, find another front end kit on Ebay in the next year or two with a working AEB/King/Zavoli etc ECU that will plug and play.

There's nowt wrong with a mixer system for burbling around town and doing ~3k a year with the occasional blat down a motorway. A good SGi kit will give you slightly better fuel economy and performance but much more resilience to failures. I had to replace the injector rail twice in 50k. Mainly because the injectors (Magic Jet) are the cheapest, nastiest injectors known to man with an advertised lifespan of 50k at 3k RPM. Now think how my 820 gets driven and you realise that 25k at 6k RPM is not an unreasonable thing!

I didn't expect it to kill the injector drivers in the ECU though :lol:

I'm just waiting for the release of Liquid Phase LPG injection. That + boost = one happy chap :twisted:

Back onto 820 boshing now though.

All masked up and ready for zinc primer then stonechip on the sills and topcoat and lacquer elsewhere.

Took the scuttle off and TheOldMan spent yesterday and today de-rusting, acid treating and cleaning it up.

Tinplate from a gunk can cleaned up and superglued the the back side of the scuttle. Last time on my previous 820 Sterling I used leaded plumbing solder to solder a plate onto the back to some success. This time I'm just gluing the tinplate on to give the filler something to bite to. I used the ultra flexible bumper filler again here and it seems to have worked rather well! Time will tell if it's a good enough bodge or not :roll:

Car on it's feet and out of the garage, after paint flashed off to touch dry.

After an hour or so to let the paint harden up I refitted the doors with TheOldMan's help.

Here is the result of my rust repair on the door bottoms.

I didn't use any filler due to time and the fact I loose patience fast when sanding down multiple coats of filler :oops:

Front wings got the same treatment

I blew half a tin of waxoyl down each sill, should help it last a fair bit longer!

Scuttle all painted up and fitted.

Last one for the OCD types, bought new number plates that have the correct font on them. Much better IMHO

Yes "technically" they are illegal in that they are replacement plates thus should be to the new standard.
Though considering that an older vehicle which still has it's original pre 2001 plates fitted is legal... Meh!
My MOT tester is happy with these though as should the coppers as the plates are legal in every other way.

Tomorrow is reassemble Johnny 5, test drive. Check everything once again, clean and wax.

Then a brew or two I think :lol:

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:45 pm

All excellent work! Surprised you got it all done in the time! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

TheOldMan
Regular Visitor

Post by TheOldMan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:21 am

For those fussed the gas is from Adams Gas

http://www.adamsgas.co.uk/

Next challenge - teaching Dusan the correct use of the Apostrophe. Teaching a fish to ride a bicycle may prove easier.
Dusan's Dad - it's MY Rover son!
And it's my 40 too, or what's left of it.

n1tr0_9
Regular Visitor

Post by n1tr0_9 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:32 am

Good work on the sills, looks very neat.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:11 am

TheOldMan wrote:For those fussed the gas is from Adams Gas

http://www.adamsgas.co.uk/

Next challenge - teaching Dusan the correct use of the Apostrophe. Teaching a fish to ride a bicycle may prove easier.

Apparently it can be done :

It would appear fish can only ride ladies bikes though with the dropped crossbar. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:55 pm

Hi Dusan,

Not sure you got my PM but Sunday is doable for T4 if your travelling back that day.
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:52 pm

And all wrapped up for today.

Bumpers fitted and new plates stuck on.

Looks a fair bit more presentable now the stone chips on the front bumper are gone! (from 10' away that is)

I've not detailed it as all the paint needs time to harden up. Plus I want to redo my tailgate properly at a later date as it is was a last minute thing and cosmetically challenged but rust wise is fixed.

Photos speak for themselves.

A small error on my part which I didn't notice until later on is that the arch to sill join should not have this little notch in it. :oops:

Door shuts are a little untidy as I stonechipped, BRG, lacquered in one day with the same masking to save time. At some point I'll re-mask and BRG the shuts properly.

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:39 pm

That's a vast improvement over last time i saw it! Well done that man - several reward beers well earned i think! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:30 am

I was struggling to understand why you had gone to the trouble of having the new plates made.

Then I saw them on the car...

I can't believe the difference the older font makes! Did you get them made locally or online? The guy I normally use has become very pernickety about legal stuff.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:45 am

traineefarmer wrote:I was struggling to understand why you had gone to the trouble of having the new plates made.

I can't believe the difference the older font makes! Did you get them made locally or online? The guy I normally use has become very pernickety about legal stuff.
I don't know if Dusan is traveling back at the moment or whether he'll be along to answer your question Tom but meanwhile have a look at this lot :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat ... tes&_frs=1

There's plenty of options there including the 3D font, with/without border, footnote, "GB" logo etc. Technically they have to sell them as show plates but on our age cars even a plain plate with the period correct font (even 3D) is legal as long as it has the British Standards "BS Au145" mark to show they conform.
What we can't legally use (yet) is the black plates with silver letters. They seem to be rolling the age over on that on a year by year basis similar to VED exemption. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:57 pm

traineefarmer wrote:I was struggling to understand why you had gone to the trouble of having the new plates made.

Ironic as I thought the old plates (new font) looked better. :D

Maybe I'm just so use to seeing it now?
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold