Chat about cars you've been in lately

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Chat about cars you've been in lately

Post by Alucard7002 » Tue May 16, 2017 8:53 pm

Turbos and engine design has come a long way from the first 80's "boom" turbos. You all know the ones, lag so bad you write the engine a letter when you hit the accelerator and put a second class stamp on it! :roll:

A friend of mine also has a 3 pot turbo fiesta, it's all torque from 1500 upwards. 72mm bore and 82mm stroke says it all.

With the modern variable vane turbos they are surprisingly good at feeling like a big NASP 2l.

In fact - nabbed from wikipedia
The 1.0 is built initially in two versions: 74 kW (101 PS; 99 hp) and 88 to 92 kW (120 to 125 PS; 118 to 123 hp).

The more powerful version delivers a maximum of 170 N·m (125 lb·ft) from 1,400–4,500 rpm and 200 N·m (148 lb·ft) on overboost, which makes for a broad torque curve when compared to a naturally aspirated gasoline engine.

A 140-PS (138-hp) version has also been released in the Fiesta Red Edition and Black Edition, with 155 lb ft (210Nm) of torque.
Nearly the same specific outputs as a NASP T16...

Still, I'd rather a supercharged straight 6 anyday :wink:
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by CHR15E » Sat May 20, 2017 12:00 pm

A guy at work has the 140BHP version, he says it goes very well.

So I'd reckon the ST version must feel very quick indeed. Nice cars overall. My mother in law has a diesel version that isn't bad round town but would feel a bit cramped on a longer journey.

Cars have moved on a lot generally I'd say.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Sat May 20, 2017 3:18 pm

I agree Chris
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat May 20, 2017 5:02 pm

scoobyh123 wrote: I know this is in a Fiesta but as i said above, many Fiestas are well over a tonne in weight these days. Look back at the original Fiesta, 957cc and about 800kg, adequate performance round town and short commutes, 40-50mpg but little in the way of creature comforts or long distance cruising ability.
The whole idea of the Fiesta has changed but imagine this 3-pot turbo lump in a Mk1 Fiesta :shock: :twisted:
CHR15E wrote: Cars have moved on a lot generally I'd say.
SJG wrote:I agree Chris
Me too! ^^^^^ :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:21 pm

I visited a friend who had recently bought a Hyundai I30 and he gave me a ride around in it. It was a 1600 diesel auto 7 speed and boy, did it shift. The changes seemed to be seamless but I found the ride quality not so good. Overall impression was of a car well put together but a bit plasticky inside. A great feature was the large screen reversing camera, great if you have a stiff neck. The view is of two lines at the side with a bar where you should stop , hard to describe but very effective,. I would love one myself but would find the ride a bit too sports car for my comfort.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:56 pm

All this talk about reversing cameras has got me thinking again about adding them to my beast, in particular the Sterling.

I like this one that could be mounted on the number plate lamp plinth so would be barely seen :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-Waterproof ... 1438.l2649

That has bars similar to those you describe Nick, green for ok, yellow for "you're getting close buddy!" and red for "Oh sh!t!!!" :lol:

There's a forward facing one i've found that looks good too and sits on the screen with self-adhesive pads and records too - basically a dash-cam.

As for a 7-speed auto, does it ever get into top gear and if so, does it stay in top or is it constantly hunting up/down the box at urban/suburban speeds? Sounds like a great idea in principle but i wonder how it's set up and if it would actually be worth the extra cash, hassle or whatever. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:22 pm

Dave, the screen that you show in your post looks exactly like the one I saw in the Hyundai I30. I have always had trouble reversing my 820 saloon as the rear pillars obstruct my view. So fitting such a camera to an 800 would be a great improvement.

As a passenger, I could not tell which gear the I30 was in, the changes seemed seamless and imperceptible to me, no jerking when it changed up or down. This car was bought at one year old and cost 11000, having only covered 9000 miles. Guarantee runs for 5 years and goes with the car, no matter how many owners or the mileage. It does plenty of MPG and my friend loves it.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:53 pm

zcar12 wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:22 pm
Dave, the screen that you show in your post looks exactly like the one I saw in the Hyundai I30. I have always had trouble reversing my 820 saloon as the rear pillars obstruct my view. So fitting such a camera to an 800 would be a great improvement.
Does that mean you'll be getting your tools out Nick? :wink: :P

I think the camera i linked to needs a display, they're relatively cheap on fleabay as well. :wink: :D
zcar12 wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:22 pm

As a passenger, I could not tell which gear the I30 was in, the changes seemed seamless and imperceptible to me, no jerking when it changed up or down. This car was bought at one year old and cost 11000, having only covered 9000 miles. Guarantee runs for 5 years and goes with the car, no matter how many owners or the mileage. It does plenty of MPG and my friend loves it.
Reason i asked the question about getting into the higher gears Nick, in the late 80s i test drove a Montego 2.0 HLS auto (or was it VDP?) with a view to buying it. Round town the box was fine, barely noticed any gear changes. On the open road particularly through villages and where the speed limit was 40mph it seemed to be "all of a dither". It was set to change into 4th/top at 40mph and for the torque converter lock-up to come in at about 50mph but drop out again at 45mph.
As such between 40 and 50mph the gearbox seemed to have all the decisiveness of a fart in a colander! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

thamestyres
Rover Guru

Post by thamestyres » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:02 pm

I must admit I have ummed and arred about fitting a reverse camera into the rover I have the screen already so only need a camera, I have one in the 807 and rarely use it even though it comes on automatically, to busy using the mirrors.. but peeps do comment on how posh is that a camera.. lol.. I think I would prefer especially around here a forward and rear view camera and being recorded for the insurance should an accident occur.. is getting to almost a must have in this area lately.... regards ricky
Rover Sterling KV6 V.reg 4 tailpipes and rs5 wheels (sold) :shock:
home of the "Mad Maestro"
1935 morris 18/6, having a near end of life rejuvenation, xj6 running gear..

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:35 pm

A couple of dash cams should do all that for you RIcky :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Full-HD- ... 1438.l2649

For the reversing camera you could either wire the display so it comes on in reverse and feed it from the rear dash cam or have a separate camera like the one i linked to further up. There's a screw hole in the middle of the number plate light plinth, that could be enlarged to take that one. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Post by Tenesmus » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:51 pm

Hyundai i30 diesel hire car with 2000km on the clock.

Dull, competent, quick, economical, uncomfortable, economical. Alloys, which I found surprising for what I assume is a base spec. Glove box includes an aircon vent inside to keep your cheese cool.

The interior isn't as offensive as some, it doesn't look like I sprayed it silver with a rattle can unlike other new cars and looks quite good if you're into black and silver. I'm not...
Pete
Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Auto 2.5 and a 1998 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm. 827 has moved on...

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Post by Tenesmus » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:40 pm

Vauxhall Viva SL auto. 999cc of three cylinder fun, wrapped in bacofoil and with interior plastics made from the stuff inside a Thorntons box. Stuffed with toys like lane assist, reversing sensors, tyre pressure monitors, a decent stereo. Lots of road noise and the gearbox is... interesting.

So I bought it.
Pete
Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Auto 2.5 and a 1998 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm. 827 has moved on...

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Post by BlueRover » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:32 pm

Nissan Juke. The second one I've hired in the last four months.
It's really not that bad a car despite its quirky looks. It's a firm ride but not overly so, The driving position is good and the amount of kit it's fitted with is great. I'd like to try the 4WD version if possible.
Performance is good enough but there is a certain amount of pausing before the engine comes alive, no low down torque which means trying to move off from a crawl in second (of six) gears is laboursome.
It has cruise control and speed limiter (which is a strange feeling when you bury the throttle and nothing happens).
It's no slouch on the motorway though.
The seats are some of the comfiest I've had in any car (non 800) and even my daughter finds them comfortable (and that's not easy to say as she has a very bad back problem.
The boot is a fair size for a small car although the rear leg room suffers because of that. Also, the rear doors could be bigger but then you would need to make a Juke L. 17" alloys as standard but the tyres are not low profile so that means bumps in the road are absorbed easily which again helps the ride quality. Over the shoulder visibility is poor due to the small, darkly tinted windows in the rear passenger doors but it has good sized mirrors. Rear visibility is also restricted due to the small window in the easily opened tailgate. The boot has a seperate floor shelf which can be removed to allow extra storage space or the shelf can be used to hide items from view. There is nowhere to keep the shelf if you remove it though, I tried to wedge it behind the seat back but there is not enough space for it to stay upright.
No spare wheel, just the normal can of spray and an air pump. Lights are good being projector lamps and the larger main beam spots are good too.
One bugbear, you can't turn the nav system off even if you don't want to use it. Having the radio on only gives you a different screen but turn it off and the nav map comes back to tell you where you are.
I averaged 33.3 mpg over a distance of 207 miles. Some motorway, some urban and some heavy use of the right foot.
Come the time when they become cheaper I may even buy one.
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Post by Tenesmus » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:43 pm

The Viva has cruise control and an adjustable speed limit alarm. And a leather steering wheel, half leather seats... it's not very comfortable but the 75 will be used for longer journeys. The Viva gearbox has (as I understand it) a clutch but no clutch pedal and is operated by hydraulics and computer. You can put it in manual mode and change yourself with the joystick gear lever. The display suggests when to change up or down. It has no creep like a proper auto.

Why can't they put comfy seats in small cars?

Oh, and: 75 = 22mpg. Viva = 39.8mpg.
Pete