Window winder relays

Changes to website and forum will be posted here along with upcoming events offsite that may be of interest!

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
SEGUBJO
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Window winder relays

Post by SEGUBJO » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:35 am

Hi all!
Where in the car Rover 827 coupe do I find the relays fort he window winder motors?
Cheers

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Window winder relays

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:57 pm

Under your drivers seat Gunnar. It will be a module with Window Control written on it or something similar.

However, what is the problem with the relays/windows and are there any other troubles such as the intermittent function not working on the wipers? This could be simply the adjustment has been lost and it has defaulted to the 10 second setting and you can no longer alter the delay using the stalk but it's enough of a clue.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

SEGUBJO
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by SEGUBJO » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:25 am

Hi Dave!
The oroblem is twofold:
-The windows both sides go down but not up when I use the driver side control

-On the oassenger side, the window gies up and down but just in small steps when I use the passenger side control

I have tried with controls from other cars which work on those cars but not on the green 827
Cheers
Gunnar

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:38 am

In that case Gunnar, use the key in the drivers door lock and turn it to the lock position and hold it there. After a couple of seconds, the windows should go up one at a time as long as you keep the key held in the lock position.

If the windows go up as they should, it's not the Window Control ECU. You can also use the fob to do this by holding the lock button down after the car has locked - after a couple of seconds, the LED on the fob will flash rapidly and the windows will go up one by one as long as the button is pressed.

Using either method also shuts the sunroof.

Assuming these tests work ok, i'd look at the fusebox. It sounds like it needs resoldering. I get what you're saying about using different window switches but i know from experience they can throw a red herring into things so the fusebox would be where i would start. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

SEGUBJO
Regular Visitor

Post by SEGUBJO » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:46 pm

Thanks Dave!
Henrik has also suggested that I exchange the window ECU in the green with the ECU from my blue 820 coupe spares car. I will try that and your suggestions next week
Cheers
Gunnar

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:04 pm

Is the green one a 4-door Gunnar? If so, the Window ECU isn't compatible, they use different motors in the windows for a start.

The Coupé motors have some sort of tacho-generator built in, i can't remember without looking if it's derived at the motor or at the ECU end but somewhere there is a pulse counter - without this the motor won't run properly.

Something else i thought of, kind of related to that, if the windows aren't sliding easily up and down they may cause a speed error which would result in the window stopping movement. If you can get the windows all the way down, at the front and back end of the door you'll see the rubber channels the glass slides in. Spray into that channel with silicone lubricant spray and let the lube run down. Then give the windows a run up and down, see if it gives an improvement.

If so, all is good, if not, it's one thing less to eliminate and is probably the easiest thing to try first. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

SEGUBJO
Regular Visitor

Post by SEGUBJO » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:57 pm

The green is a 827 coupe and the spares car is a 820 coupe, so the ECUs are hoppfully interchangable
Cheers

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:08 pm

That's handy the green one is also a Coupé Gunnar! My "gut feeling" still says fusebox and lube the window channels.
Try the Window ECU though if the test with the key i described doesn't work.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate