Stickers Wanted

Rover800.info goodies for sale.

Moderators: TDHFastback, guru

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Stickers Wanted

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:17 pm

I don't think it's up and running yet Mark, according to Dave further up, it will "launch shortly".

I might be speaking out of turn here but i would hope the "club" has a link to here as the "club forum" as arguably this is the best global technical resource on the 800 in existence these days. That would in essence give a "two-tier" membership system. Forum only or Club and Forum. Naturally that would require certain permissions, not least from Richard Moss as the owner of the forum but i'm guessing certain software permissions as well - haven't got a clue what as software is an alien language and concept to me.

However, it would give the best of both worlds to all concerned - those that want to belong to a "club" could be club members and have access to the club shop, regalia, remanufactured parts and so on. That said, you have remanufactured (or at least organised the remanufacture of) 4/5 door sills and Simon has done the same with coupe sills. Obviously there would have to be some sort of agreement created for things like that.

Then there are other things like the Volvo expansion tank mod, the mod for the sunroof drains that prevents any further leakage (in the final stages of testing at the moment) EVER and so on.

After that would come things like shows and club stands etc - there's a lot to be worked out whether this forum becomes linked with the club or not.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

dollysprint
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by dollysprint » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:58 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:15 am
That's very encouraging Dave, there seemed to be an undercurrent on the last one of a certain member using the club as funding for their own pursuits i.e. the NEC shows and very little support for members - not that i actually joined but know a couple that did and they were a little put off by the poor quality of the club magazine and the "free" pen that came with it and didn't even work for very long!

What events will the club be attending, what other benefits are planned/under way/already available for members, what else can you tell us about it?

Maybe this is the wrong thread and if so, apologies to the OP but i suppose the stickers will be available through the new club so maybe not so far off topic after all. :wink: :D
Dave we are hoping to attend POL, Gaydon, Milton Keynes and Peterborough(if it happens this year) but also to tie up with the JRC( Joint Rover Clubs) so other events are likely. The Club will officially launch on April 5th. We will not be attending the NEC shows anytime soon. The other club has now become a bolt on to the Maestro Montego Club and one club official sits on it's committee. How that works with AGM's and the one club official election I have no idea. To my knowledge there are no other 800 club officials now. I believe( and this is just my opinion) it's part of a push to set up the Cowley Car Club, Maestro, Montego, 800 and 600. I don't believe in this direction or the way the last club was run, and I'll leave that subject there. Insurance and parts links will be added shortly to the website. There is a wealth of information on the new site that will be available for members to enjoy and hopefully fix their own cars. If the membership grows sufficiently the main aim is parts remanufacture.

Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:22 pm

A lot of food for thought there Dave, i've tried looking online at http://bmcblrally.co.uk/ and keep getting a "404 : Page not Found Error" and sometimes a "403 : Forbidden" so whether their server is down or the site is now defunct or what, i don't know.

I'll have a good think and post a better reply tomorrow when the brain cell is more awake. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

dollysprint
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by dollysprint » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:41 pm

Fastback wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:29 pm
I've been to have a look at the 'Rover800.club' and perhaps I'm being a little stupid. What is really the difference/advantages between here and there and what am I getting for my £24? (not a lot of dosh but still...) Is anybody here on there as well and can throw a bit more light on the situation? Is it fully up and running?

I'm all for promoting our cars but if something is just doubling up, then I'm struggling to see why. I know it's a lot quieter on here (and this is essentially free), so who is the new club trying to attract?
I have started the new Club to cater for members whom sadly get very little info and support from the last club. I used to sit on the committee of the last club and tried to have an informal link to this Forum so members had somewhere to chat and search a large archive( Facebook is useless for this). If James drops by perhaps he could confirm that he and I had spoken about this. It was nothing more than a new member would be asked if they wanted to join this Forum, if so then their email would be passed to James who would verify them to this Forum. It was a win win suggestion, 800 Club members would have access to this Forum, this Forum would have an injection of new blood. Sounds simple doesn't it? It wasn't popular with 2 members of the then committee, and that's an understatement. They cannot control this Forum so they were having none of it so scared are they of anyone saying anything negative about their running of the club.
That is the avenue I would like the new Rover 800 Club to pursue, still separate but informally linked by mutual consent and interest in the cars. However chatting isn't for everyone, nor is the internet so the Club is needed and information disseminated in different ways. Some like the social element so that will be there too as will all the information I have uploaded into one place, manuals, brochures, adverts, technical bulletins and the like and the database. And looking into parts re-manufacture, and I know you will understand this because you have done it, it can be quite expensive. Parts interchangeability is another one, like Range Rovers using the same interior light and SRS Ecu. A kit to recover your headlining, a supplier to renew your wood cappings and more use of 3d printing, not to mention rear wheelarch repair panels.
Just to give an idea of the costs that come into play here, I recently looked into getting expansion tanks remade. A minimum run of 225, the minimum required to make the tooling viable was £24,700. That was 150 Mk2 and 75 Mk1. I have no doubt that at say £140 each they would sell over say 2/3years, but the upfront costs can be daunting.
Anyway that's the vision, we launch on April 5th

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:42 pm

I might be wrong but I seem to remember something being said on Facebook that the Peterborough event had been cancelled permanently?
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

dollysprint
Rover Guru

Post by dollysprint » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:43 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:22 pm
A lot of food for thought there Dave, i've tried looking online at http://bmcblrally.co.uk/ and keep getting a "404 : Page not Found Error" and sometimes a "403 : Forbidden" so whether their server is down or the site is now defunct or what, i don't know.

I'll have a good think and post a better reply tomorrow when the brain cell is more awake. :wink: :D
I think she has chucked it in to be honest Dave, it had been shrinking over recent years.

Dave

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:16 am

dollysprint wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:41 pm

That is the avenue I would like the new Rover 800 Club to pursue, still separate but informally linked by mutual consent and interest in the cars. However chatting isn't for everyone, nor is the internet so the Club is needed and information disseminated in different ways. Some like the social element so that will be there too as will all the information I have uploaded into one place, manuals, brochures, adverts, technical bulletins and the like and the database. And looking into parts re-manufacture, and I know you will understand this because you have done it, it can be quite expensive. Parts interchangeability is another one, like Range Rovers using the same interior light and SRS Ecu. A kit to recover your headlining, a supplier to renew your wood cappings and more use of 3d printing, not to mention rear wheelarch repair panels.
Just to give an idea of the costs that come into play here, I recently looked into getting expansion tanks remade. A minimum run of 225, the minimum required to make the tooling viable was £24,700. That was 150 Mk2 and 75 Mk1. I have no doubt that at say £140 each they would sell over say 2/3years, but the upfront costs can be daunting.
Anyway that's the vision, we launch on April 5th
It sounds very interesting Dave! I did start a thread on here about "Second Source Parts Supply" which is a different way of saying "Parts Interchangeablilty" and you mentioning the Range-Rover has just reminded me of two more not on the list - the Range-Rover screenwash pump is the same as the front washer pump on the 800 and the fan thermoswitch seal (between the switch and radiator) is the same as for late classic Mini and Jag XJ40 models. However they exist under 3 different part numbers and colours :

Mini (natural) £5
Rover (black) £6
XJ40 (red) £16! Talk about paying for the name on the box! :shock: :roll: :lol:
dollysprint wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:43 pm
scoobyh123 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:22 pm

I think she has chucked it in to be honest Dave, it had been shrinking over recent years.

Dave
It's a shame she has chucked it in, i think the reason numbers dwindled was because of the 2017 changes, 2018 was apparently worse, i missed 2017 due to health, made it to 2018 but was sat there like "Billy No-Mates" being the only 800 on the 800 stand.

I can probably manage the Milton Keynes bash but the others are too far for me these days sadly.

I'm very interested in joining, not fully decided yet but can you PM me the details of how i join please? :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:18 am

This sounds very exciting, you have my support because it will be hard work and require a lot of your time. This just what the 800 needs. Good work and good luck, put me down for membership.

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:18 pm

Ok, I can see how some that would work better in club form, rather than a forum.
I think in addition to 'second source parts' listings, information on which third party suppliers are out there for new bits; I have built up my own lists for various parts, trim etc over the years. I'm sure we all have but unlikely any one of us has them all. I also think a list of refurbishers would be great. Those talented folk who can recore radiators, recondition alternators etc. I'm sure there are many of them and being able to find one perhaps local to the car needing it, would be great; sort of a national register.

When the club does launch you'll need a new theme on here (if agreeable, of course), 'Cars and owners wanted'.
Mark
'99 Sterling KV6 Fastback :D
'96 Vitesse Lux Fastback, rolling resto :?
'96 825 SLi Fastback, just waiting. :|
Previous:- 'J' 820Si Fastback, part Tickford
MG Maestro 2.0i (I loved that car, I did)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:41 pm

The thread is about 5 years old now :

http://www.rover800.info/forum/viewtopi ... urce+parts

Covers a fair few parts! Feel free to add more that you've found from other vehicles though!

That thread aside, i think this club (from what i've heard so far) is what the other club should have been from the start and despite being one of the "old school" on here that didn't want to change into a club (when we had a vote on it errr............ "some" years back, this seems to be an addition to the forum (which i actually suggested way back) as an option to join but not mandatory. It's not an "either ...or" thing which is good. Had the impression from the last club that if you joined it was frowned upon that you were still on here.

I still haven't decided 100% but it's safe to say i'm more sure than not that i will. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:15 pm

A useful thread, maybe better without the chat which a club could do. Simple lists (which really aren't simple) with parts type and equivalents. I was not aware of that thread previously, and probably many others. I have searched for things but having to trawl through conversations, whilst entertaining, takes time.

Chat is good, and perhaps should be more of a forum thing but there has to be a social side to the club I suppose. I choose not to do 'The Twitface' thing, so any info regarding events comes from here, although I've never managed to get to any (work Saturdays! :( )

It also feels anybody who doesn't do 'unsocial media' is ignored.
Mark
'99 Sterling KV6 Fastback :D
'96 Vitesse Lux Fastback, rolling resto :?
'96 825 SLi Fastback, just waiting. :|
Previous:- 'J' 820Si Fastback, part Tickford
MG Maestro 2.0i (I loved that car, I did)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:29 pm

Funnily enough, i call it almost the same thing - anti-social media. Both apply though!

It does seem though that if you don't use some form of it, you get ignored by those that do. We really need some sort of - dare i use the word - interface - between the forum, club and anti-social media, Faceberk, Instagorm and the ilk.

The thread was intended as a list with minimal chat, just enough words to explain what each addition was. It could be copy & pasted without most of the waffle to the club pages as a useful reference list.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

decalservice
Regular Visitor

Post by decalservice » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:39 pm

I make decals =) Have been for over 20 years but plotter is in storage. Thinking of dusting it off for a project (see my post on engine/gearbox section). I'd be glad to make some decals for free for the club if the owner/mods approve. Least I can do to say thanks for all the help over the years. I should be up and running by January if my plan for the car can be done. I'll have to order some vinyl and I'll undoubtedly have a lot left over.