Mk1 Sterling (manual) for sale

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
projectxx
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Mk1 Sterling (manual) for sale

Post by projectxx » Tue May 14, 2019 8:30 pm

Hi Everyone, I've decided to sell my 1990 Sterling, I've owned this car since 2007, and it's proved very reliable over the years, however it's recently started to become a bit of a gamble, as far as it starting. Sometimes first time and subsequent times no problem, but not always. It used to do this very occasionally & I just lived with it, usually waiting 10 mins, then hey presto!
Once running it drives great, bloody rapid, it still impresses me, even after all these years!
All the lights, instruments, cruise, air con (would need re gas, to blow cold-cold), central locking, electric windows, mirrors, seats, heater blower (furnace), work, trip computer has a bit of bleed, but reads okay on some functions.
Bad points rust on all arches, bottom of front doors, bit on drivers A post, The fuel filler neck has rusted away at the cap, so a plastic temp cap is fitted, filler accepts fuel fine, there is a crack in the top corner of the front screen, crack/chip on a headlight, (replacement included) ABS & handbrake warning light on, it's never ever over heated in the 12 years I've had it..., today, unbelievably to me I noticed the expansion tank appeared to be going, it's always had a sort of white/red mark, but not been an issue, there was slight wetness at that area, it isn't overheating, Hhmm. Offside rear door handle was always difficult so I stopped using it for fear of the handle breaking, opens fine from inside and I disconnected the same door's window because the door mech seemed to catch the window when lowered..
The car has done 108k there are plenty old mots, receipts etc, MOT until 04/11/19, I really don't want to break and scrap, I would like someone to take it whole, I think there are only x3 1990 manual's left...
Is £500 ridiculous??
Car is located in Edinburgh

https://postimg.cc/gallery/259gfpqhc/
Last edited by projectxx on Tue May 14, 2019 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Mk 1 Sterling (manual) for sale

Post by CHR15E » Tue May 14, 2019 9:07 pm

Is this one that Simon and Brad owned?
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

projectxx
Regular Visitor

Re: Mk1 Sterling (manual) for sale

Post by projectxx » Tue May 14, 2019 9:17 pm

Hi Chris, Brad never had it, don't know of a Simon.

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Tue May 14, 2019 9:23 pm

I think I might be mistaken. Just a random thought in my head. :)
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

austinpowers
Regular Visitor

Post by austinpowers » Tue May 14, 2019 9:34 pm

Looks tempting.. When was the belt last changed and would it get home ok (Swindon).

Wouldn't mind a manual Sterling even though I have the Rovor and manual 827 Vitesse!

What's the issue with the non starting?

Just realised i bought the pair of door handles off you recently! :)
1989 Rover Sterling in Atlantic blue 35k miles. - Sold
2017 "special" edition in white
1990 Rover Vitesse manual - Sold
1990 Rover Sterling - Sold

projectxx
Regular Visitor

Post by projectxx » Tue May 14, 2019 9:51 pm

Hi, The belt hasn't been changed, I confident it would make it anywhere in the country, but with the expansion tank today it's unknown, sometimes it just turns over, will start momentarily then cut out, like trying to start a car that has run out of fuel.

projectxx
Regular Visitor

Post by projectxx » Tue May 14, 2019 9:59 pm

It's a small world!

austinpowers
Regular Visitor

Post by austinpowers » Wed May 15, 2019 6:49 am

Has the belt never been changed or not been changed in your ownership?

What's the clutch, gearbox like? Does it tap when cold?

Has it been regularly serviced?
1989 Rover Sterling in Atlantic blue 35k miles. - Sold
2017 "special" edition in white
1990 Rover Vitesse manual - Sold
1990 Rover Sterling - Sold

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed May 15, 2019 7:54 am

projectxx wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:51 pm
Hi, The belt hasn't been changed, I confident it would make it anywhere in the country, but with the expansion tank today it's unknown, sometimes it just turns over, will start momentarily then cut out, like trying to start a car that has run out of fuel.
That'll be the PGM-Fi relay under the dash, if you're any good with a soldering iron and solder sucker you can fix that to improve your chances of a sale.

Expansion tank - do the Volvo tank conversion, simples!
austinpowers wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:49 am
Does it tap when cold?
Add 0.5L ATF-U to the engine oil, it cleans the hydraulic tappets out (it's an ongoing thing, not instant), revives the oil seals so can cure minor oil leaks (not major leaks) and generally improves the engines internal cleanliness. Also helps keep pistons rings clean which improves compression as they can expand/contract as designed to do. This improves emissions too.

The emissions have improved year on year using ATF-U in with the oil.
projectxx wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:30 pm
Hi Everyone, I've decided to sell my 1990 Sterling,
Good luck with the sale, hope it finds a good home! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

projectxx
Regular Visitor

Post by projectxx » Wed May 15, 2019 9:48 am

austinpowers wrote:
Has the belt never been changed or not been changed in your ownership?

What's the clutch, gearbox like? Does it tap when cold?

Has it been regularly serviced?
Hi, There is no evidence of the belt ever being changed, I had a full clutch fitted May 2016, the gearbox is fine, it has the usual tappet rattle when cold but it disappears, it's last oil change was May 2016, I changed the HT leads, dizzy & rotor a year or so ago, NSR brake caliper Feb 2016, rear exaust silencer Sept 2016, there isn't any real service history, just tyres, exausts, batteries etc, I'm sorry to say I've somewhat neglected the issue and just ran the car. :oops:

projectxx
Regular Visitor

Post by projectxx » Wed May 15, 2019 11:09 am

scoobyh123 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:54 am
projectxx wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:51 pm
That'll be the PGM-Fi relay under the dash, if you're any good with a soldering iron and solder sucker you can fix that to improve your chances of a sale.

Expansion tank - do the Volvo tank conversion, simples!
austinpowers wrote:
Does it tap when cold?
Add 0.5L ATF-U to the engine oil, it cleans the hydraulic tappets out (it's an ongoing thing, not instant), revives the oil seals so can cure minor oil leaks (not major leaks) and generally improves the engines internal cleanliness. Also helps keep pistons rings clean which improves compression as they can expand/contract as designed to do. This improves emissions too.

The emissions have improved year on year using ATF-U in with the oil.
projectxx wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:30 pm
Hi Everyone, I've decided to sell my 1990 Sterling,
Good luck with the sale, hope it finds a good home! :wink: :D
Thanks Dave