Mk2 interior

Moderators: guru, SJG

roadripper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Mk2 interior

Post by roadripper » Thu May 30, 2019 1:08 pm

Rear headliner finisher wanted for Mk2 fastback - the bit that covers the hinges.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Mk2 interior

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu May 30, 2019 11:03 pm

Colour? Year? Which bit do you mean exactly? A photo might help of the bit you want or at least where it goes if it's missing.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Post by BlueRover » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:06 pm

It's the piece which goes across the hatch opening and overlaps the inner D pillar covers and keeps the rear of the headlining in place and meets the hatch seal. You know, the bit that always breaks when you take it off. Having examined mine after removal, the problem is that the plastic lugs which hold it up are placed into a metal clip which then pushes into the metal bracket welded to the inner roof. You need to compress the metal clip and remove it with the trim piece and then take the plastic lug from the clip by prising it open. If only I knew that before I took mine off to replace the hinges it would have made it a lot easier to put it back.
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:17 pm

BlueRover wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:06 pm
You know, the bit that always breaks when you take it off.
Errrr.............no. I've never owned a Fastback, except for breaking, that was a Mk1 and was missing all trim in that area anyway.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Fastback » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:15 am

Funny you should be wanting one of those. At the risk of being accused of hijacking, I have just been doing my rear quarter light window which was leaking (fastback). Taking off that quarterlight panel was fraught with danger and sure enough, several cracks and a couple of broken lugs later it was off. The thing is that anybody else taking a panel off will have the same problem. So I know exactly what you are talking about but I am trying to refurb mine, although if anybody has got one, please let me know; it's probably between that unicorn and Holy Grail...
Back to a favourite topic of mine, 3D printing. It would easy enough to make an improved part and bond it to the existing surface, maybe even negating the metal clip in the process. I will be getting a printer very soon as the applications are endless, particularly when it comes to our cars (front speaker pods anybody?). In the meantime I will revert to my old modelling skills and try to form a 'T' bracket out of plastic sheeting.
Does anybody know if the finish of the trim can be reproduced? It is obviously an applied finish, almost like grey primer.

I'll let you know how I get on with making new lugs.
Last edited by Fastback on Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark
'99 Sterling KV6 Fastback :D
'96 Vitesse Lux Fastback, rolling resto :?
'96 825 SLi Fastback, just waiting. :|
Previous:- 'J' 820Si Fastback, part Tickford
MG Maestro 2.0i (I loved that car, I did)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:53 am

This place do a lot of stuff that might be useful Mark. Silicon for making moulds, casting resins for making parts, i believe the casting resin will also act like a glue so could be used to bond a replacement clip.

https://www.mbfg.co.uk/casting-resins.html

That should take you to the casting resins page, have a good look through the site and see what is likely to work best, i know of the site because of the Poly PT Flex60/70/85 PU rubbers that i've been intending to use to make replacement suspension bushes (inc ARB drop link bushes) for quite some time now. The two bottles i've got are probably past their shelf life now but i'll get organised one day! :P
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:18 pm

Certainly useful for certain applications but making a improved fixing/mould in this instance may be tricky. I'll add it to my useful links and have a think how it might be done.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:53 pm

Fastback wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:18 pm
Certainly useful for certain applications but making a improved fixing/mould in this instance may be tricky. I'll add it to my useful links and have a think how it might be done.
If you made a silicone mould of the "finger" that slots into the clips with a hole on the pointed end, the silicone mould could be placed over where the finger had broken from, fersh resin poured in through the hole and once set, the silicone removed. Clean up where the hole was with side cutters, file etc.

I thought of this method for repairing the door map pocket mounting holes by making a former/mould where the lug should be, then resting the map pocket in the right place and filling with the resin - just the basics of the idea but i'm sure you can see where i'm going with this.

The firm that sells these things also sells pigments so there's no reason the right colour couldn't be made in situ on the part.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:11 pm

3D printing has been a very interesting hot topic of recent times.

I guess if there is the possibility of a forum member acquiring such a machine, it will mean small or any number of part batches can be reproduced at viable cost.
That has to be fantastic for any car owners with rare cars.
Last edited by Charles827si on Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charles 'Yorks'
"88 827si Fastback (manual) - Mum owned from new
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
2011 Lexus IS220D F Sport
It's a stick shift? No, It's a grip shift!
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:33 pm

I've wondered for a long time how good a domestic 3D printer will be for car parts etc, do they have the size capabilities to make something big, are they able to print the item quick enough to make it durable and several other questions.

Maybe it's because i'm a bit old skool in my approach, preferring the tried and tested methods of creating new components but when domestic 3D printers are capable of printing something the size of a grand piano and be millimetre perfect (say printing a new wing, door, bonnet or similar) and just as strong/durable as the original metal item, i'll be convinced.

That said, for smaller items where the durability isn't such a prime concern, the fact they exist is the main point, i think they will be a real advantage. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:35 pm

Have a look at this you tube video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0uxK_uRyjQ

They can print things to 0.1mm perfect and you can print in ABS and carbon fibre. Size is an issue but about 12" cubed is still a fair size. There are other videos that show standard PLA withstanding 75kg (think so, cant quite find it now) stress before breaking. And this from a printer less than £300.
No, they're not perfect but for many parts I'm willing to give it a go.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:31 am

All interesting stuff Mark! Funny thing is, one of YTs suggestions while watching the vid was about another 3D printer that to be honest, looked exactly the same except for a few minor details but was said to have a much better this, that and everything.

Having watched many vids on the Harbor Freight manual tyre changer which is exactly the same as the one i have, bought unbranded but again the same as the Sealey version for twice the price, i have a lot of cynicism about the products in general but also some reviewers. Also a few years back i bought an automatic welding helmet on Amazon for something like £24.99 delivered, a week later i saw exactly the same (not only the same helmet but the same box) with a Sealey sticker over the original makers name with a price tag of £72.99 in a local autofactors. Reselling isn't new by any stretch but that's blatant profiteering.

However, i digress, many tools are made by one manufacturer and sold under various brand names. I'd be amazed if 3D printers were any different.

With that in mind, would it be possible to get a better printer than the £300 one for not much more money by buying an unbranded version of a more expensive one?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:20 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:33 pm
I've wondered for a long time how good a domestic 3D printer will be for car parts etc, do they have the size capabilities to make something big, are they able to print the item quick enough to make it durable and several other questions.
Size obviously affects price but a mate of mine out here in Abu Dhabi has two - his first one cost $200 US and the second $300. He reckons that the extra $100 makes all the difference but he's very impressed by the value for money. The Czech republic is a great place to buy them (online).

I will almost certainly be shelling out $300 some time soon :)
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:16 pm

I have started to refurb my 'sixth light finisher' and I hope this is relevant to roadripper as by now you will have realised how difficult it is to source a replacement. I have fixed my cracks with fibre glass and metal sheeting on the back but unfortunately there is some chipping on the face side. I will be trying to graft some new lugs on to the back soon and this may help roadripper with some ideas (I'll post pictures if successful).
The problem I have is the finish on the trim if I fill the chips. Clearly it is an applied finish, maybe sprayed on. Essentially the colour is grey but there is a fleck in it with a texture. Can anybody suggest what that finish is and how recreate it?
Alternatively I could put an entirely new finish on all the parts...
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:33 pm

I'm not sure which bit you're on about Mark so i might be on the wrong planet with this idea but this might work :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/x1-Rust-Oleu ... SwuAVWyhI2

For the texture, i'd suggest while it's still wet, you "carve" gently with a knife or similar sharp tool the pattern that is the texture, seem to recall a lot of parts have a "skin like" texture like vinyl or leather so it may work or might look a pile of cack - trial and error is probably a big part of getting it right!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate