Thunderbird2 & Turbo Coupes

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

scotty2
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Thunderbird 2 & The Green Machine

Post by scotty2 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:40 pm

Pic of trim. Due to perspective it looks like it might fit but it is actually quite a bit smaller. DOH!

Thanks for the diagnostic info. I'll have a play...

Oh it's seconds without moving.

ETA I found a set of sensors in the box of bits I got with TGM, but they all have two bolts where I'm sure mine only has one. Poss Mk1/2 difference?
800 Saloon, Fastback and Turbo Coupe!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:50 pm

scotty2 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:40 pm
Pic of trim. Due to perspective it looks like it might fit but it is actually quite a bit smaller. DOH!

Thanks for the diagnostic info. I'll have a play...

Oh it's seconds without moving.

ETA I found a set of sensors in the box of bits I got with TGM, but they all have two bolts where I'm sure mine only has one. Poss Mk1/2 difference?

Bugger, i forgot about the passenger airbags! It's possible (only a small possibility) that i have the bit somewhere in that case but thinking about it, i took it over to him as he was clearing it out as he'd sold it so it's possible it's in the boxes of bits.

The front sensors have two bolts on the brackets (secondhand ones are removed by unbolting the brackets) and look very different :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-MGZR ... 1438.l2649

One bolt to hold the sensor to the brackets and two bolts to hold the bracket to the hub. As you can see, different shape and fairly certain the ones in the box of bits are front ones he liberated from Shitesse before it went to the razor blade factory.

The ABS sensors definitely did stay the same throughout the production run regardless of engine, fuel, transmission etc. and likewise the outer CV joints too. Some very early Mk1s with ABS had 52 teeth reluctor rings but most are 48 teeth.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

scotty2
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by scotty2 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:36 am

There has been a weep from the blanking plugs on TB2 radiator for a while now so I ordered a new radiator without sensor holes. 1st one arrived with sensor holes and no blanking plugs so was returned. Ordered another and double checked it has no sensor holes. Two radiators arrived on Friday...
Anyway, Sunday afternoon job. Drained coolant, removed slam panel centre section (which you don't need to disconnect the bonnet cable as it has enough room to swing back), disconnected hoses and pulled old one out. Swapped over the fan and popped back in. 40 Mins in all. Wire brushed rusty power steering "cooler" and coated with underseal while it was accessible.
Another off the list.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:42 am

Silly question but why not just renew the seals on the blanking plugs? Only about a fiver each if you get the Mini ones, £6 for the Rover ones and an eye-watering £16 for Jag XJ40 version.

The other option would have been to remove the blanking plugs, clean the seals in vinegar and refit with some RTV sealant.

http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... .aspx?0703

They also list the retainer clips as well, shown on the same page. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:47 am

I will look at resealing them to keep the rad as a spare. The fact that they had been gobbed up previously and were still weeping made me feel like £100 on a new rad for the Summer (!) was a less risky option. Mind you, I have a spare brand new one now as well.

ETA- Ah, the same as on my Ambassador temp switch.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:44 am

In that case, thoroughly flush and dry the rad before storage and preferably seal it up as well. Seems every rad i've stored otherwise has developed leaks, presumably through dampness attacking the joints.

Yes, i think the Ambassador also used the same seal and switch, as did the Montego - seems only the Mini, Rover 800 and XJ40 are listed on parts sites though! :roll:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:01 am

Changed the fusebox on TB2 this morning. 15 mins thanks to the tips on here. Windows worked, car started and central locking still works. Let's see how long for. Anyone good at soldering my old one for a fee to keep for a spare?

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:19 am

scotty2 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:01 am
Changed the fusebox on TB2 this morning. 15 mins thanks to the tips on here. Windows worked, car started and central locking still works. Let's see how long for. Anyone good at soldering my old one for a fee to keep for a spare?
Glad it's all sorted Scott!

As for soldering fuseboxes, that is my guilty pleasure! :P If you'd like me to resolder it for you, drop me a PM and i'll reply with the cost and full explanation of what i do and why. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:14 pm

TB2: Windows still working and now not beeping thanks to a bit of re calibration advice from Dave. Ta Dave! Lazy locking also worked.

TGM refueled with LPG at 55 ppL. Price has actually gone down recently and still getting 320 miles on 60 L.

No leads on a green Coupe Vitesse yet.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:16 pm

Glad the windows are fully sorted Scott, the "Lazy Locking Test" is the "gold standard" for confirming whether the windows are calibrated correctly as it won't work if they're not.

That works out about 25.7mpg on gas, not bad at all as when you apply the conversion factor, generally accepted as 1.3, that makes 33.4mpg equivalent if running on petrol.
In terms of cost though, most supermarkets are selling normal unleaded for about 130p/L at present, Super Unleaded (closest to LPG in octane rating) is about 135p/L so that's about 2.5 times more expensive than LPG so if you were running a petrol car, you'd have to achieve about 65mpg for the same running costs per mile! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:41 pm

That does appeal to my Scottish origins, and my son is half Yorkshire/half Scottish so even more so!
If I do get a decent Coupe, I'd be very tempted to fit the same system as TGM as it is very good. You can't tell when or if it has switched unless you notice the S4 light going out just after startup.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:05 pm

It's an AEB King/Romano/Zavoli and possibly a few other brands i can't think of just now, fairly sure yours is the AEB King system though. If you listen closely, you'lll hear the LPG pilot valve open a few seconds before it switches over to "prime" the system so it has pressure without having to wait when it switches over which is a second click. If memory serves, he set it up to change at 40C or higher coolant temperature but i might be wrong on that bit.

Gives you an idea what to look for when scouring fleabay!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:21 am

scotty2 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:56 pm
After doing the fuse removal, it now goes out but comes back on a few mins after starting but not moving. Must check my box of bits for a sensor or buy the one above as advised.
Oh and the trim bit is too small. For one without air con possibly. I'll take another pic.
Not my day...
TGM: The ABS light is now staying out when moving. Seems to have sorted itself whether by my cleaning up or fuse removal - who knows? Maybe reset itself.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:01 am

The fuse removal would have reset any historic faults, could have been a bad earth on the ABS pump (it's near the battery on the inner wing) or maybe just a lazy pump that's now working again.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:38 pm

Update:
TB2 just failed MOT on a bit of welding on sill ( I have some in stock, but it's just a little bit) headlamp aim and CO. Now it had a new cat last year and is measuring 72 to 83 ppm on the HC but high CO. 1.78% 1st time and 0.61% 2nd time. Idle test showed 0.93% so it is not a million miles out. Any tips on adjustment, or is it an * "Italian Tune" before a retest?

*Damn good thrashing before retest.