800 Owners Club

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: 800 Owners Club

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:55 pm

That's very interesting information there Dave about the "old" 800 Club now incorporating the 600 and also the Mk1 Legend (better described in Honda circles as the KA1-4 Legend) as there are already clubs and forums that cater for them.

Tanya seems to have her fingers in a lot of pies, saw her on tv last night as there was a Mini meet somewhere in the region and she got herself in front of the cameras. Also spotted her on Escape to the Chateau : DIY as her sister has bought a French chateau so does she really have the committment to all of those endeavours?

I started a thread somewhere in the Technical section on here entitled something like "Second-source parts supply" which gave a few parts found on other cars that the 800 used as well but could no longer be found on most catalogue listings from parts suppliers.

Feel free to plunder that thread for the knowledge i've added or PM me for other parts as some of them i haven't added, mainly because i forgot but can still remember them when asked.

Many of them are 827-centric such as the oil pressure switch (shared with the Acclaim and various Honda models), the temp gauge sensor (shared with many Fords from the 70s etc) and Lambda sensors (shared with a lot of 8v Vauxhalls from the 80s) but some items might be universal for the range such as rear ABS sensors (shared with Volvo 7/9xx front sensors but different plugs) and so on.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Charles827si
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Charles827si » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:57 pm

Dave, its not that I think of you so lowly from a personal perspective - that's abit too extreme really.
My experience of the knowledge on the facebook groups dedicated to these cars, is the opposite to what you suggest, or what your own experience of these groups may well be.
However I wish you all the best with your efforts.
Like I said earlier in this thread, efforts by all are very commendable.
Charles 'Yorks'
"88 827si Fastback (manual) - Mum owned from new
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
2011 Lexus IS220D F Sport
It's a stick shift? No, It's a grip shift!
ImageImage

SJG
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by SJG » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:46 am

"Dave Smart could have done the courtesy of making and marketing the club outside social media. Because really, who searches for specific websites these days when everyone has 'Apps' on their Smart phones??

It does not surprise me I didn't hear about the new club. Dave Smart has never contacted on this forum in all the years I've been on here. The only time he contacted was maybe 10 years ago, to ask for the registration number of the family Mk1a Fastback for the group register.

I don't recall Dave Smart either chipping in with comments on my vehicles in any meaningful way..if at all. :?

”Dave, its not that I think of you so lowly from a personal perspective - that's abit too extreme really.”

Really Charles...?

I think you've been extremely rude.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:54 am

SJG wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:46 am
"Dave Smart could have done the courtesy of making and marketing the club outside social media. Because really, who searches for specific websites these days when everyone has 'Apps' on their Smart phones??

It does not surprise me I didn't hear about the new club. Dave Smart has never contacted on this forum in all the years I've been on here. The only time he contacted was maybe 10 years ago, to ask for the registration number of the family Mk1a Fastback for the group register.

I don't recall Dave Smart either chipping in with comments on my vehicles in any meaningful way..if at all. :?

”Dave, its not that I think of you so lowly from a personal perspective - that's abit too extreme really.”

Really Charles...?

I think you've been extremely rude.
Simon, it wasn't ever my intention to be rude. Taking my comments out of the context obviously does not put me in a good light.

However, I've stated the way that I feel Ive been disregarded by a certain member.
I'm not asking for an apology and really I have nothing to apologise for.
I'm entitled to my opinion Simon, just as you and others are that have contributed to this topic.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:26 am

And further more; if this is the type of negative and lackluster mentality of any club (like what I previously mentioned) then I don't need or would be willing to be apart of it.
The good I've contributed to this forum (including finding parts like brand new oe spec scuttle panels for members) far outweighs the fact you personally think ive been rude on this recent occasion.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:32 am

Charles, of course you are entitled to an opinion but there are opinions and there is being rude. No one has suggested you need to apologise either or need to be sent an apology.

However, unlike you I read every post on the forum and here is a quote from Dave Smart which might make you rethink your post, sorry to bring this up again Dave.

"This post is to let members know that I will be away for April (and possibly beyond) as I have to attend Crown Court in Leicester in a murder trial as a witness and family support to people that matter to me.
Once the trial ends I need to help the victims son's gain control of her assets and also deal with a complaint against a UK Police Constabulary which has already taken a vast amount of time over the last 9 months but could not be brought to a conclusion because of criminal matters.
I am not at liberty, or would I wish to post details of any of the above.
So please don't think I am being ignorant or deliberately ignoring any queries you may ask or send, I'm just not available as from tomorrow."
Simon

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:34 am

SJG wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:32 am
Charles, of course you are entitled to an opinion but there are opinions and there is being rude. No one has suggested you need to apologise either or need to be sent an apology.

However, unlike you I read every post on the forum and here is a quote from Dave Smart which might make you rethink your post, sorry to bring this up again Dave.

"This post is to let members know that I will be away for April (and possibly beyond) as I have to attend Crown Court in Leicester in a murder trial as a witness and family support to people that matter to me.
Once the trial ends I need to help the victims son's gain control of her assets and also deal with a complaint against a UK Police Constabulary which has already taken a vast amount of time over the last 9 months but could not be brought to a conclusion because of criminal matters.
I am not at liberty, or would I wish to post details of any of the above.
So please don't think I am being ignorant or deliberately ignoring any queries you may ask or send, I'm just not available as from tomorrow."
This is not a very satisfactory or very fair answer from you Simon. I'm very surprised by you. You havent even taken the liberty to explain how I've been rude??
You took my comments out of context and disregarded the balanced approach ive made.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:39 am

Charles827si wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:26 am
And further more; if this is the type of negative and lackluster mentality of any club (like what I previously mentioned) then I don't need or would be willing to be apart of it.
Let me know if you would like me to close your account Charles
Simon

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:46 am

SJG wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:39 am
Charles827si wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:26 am
Let me know if you would like me to close your account Charles
I'll let you get on Simon. Your busy tomorrow. I've other things to do now.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:03 am

Dave Smart, unfortunately the timing hasn't come right given the circumstances your faced with.
Can I put a question to you which you can choose to answer or not in more agreeable times?

Would it not be better to attempt to work with Taniya to make a unified 800 club?

Have you considered this before looking at the legal implication surrounding the club name?
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:24 am

Charles827si wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:03 am
Dave Smart, unfortunately the timing hasn't come right given the circumstances your faced with.
Can I put a question to you which you can choose to answer or not in more agreeable times?

Would it not be better to attempt to work with Taniya to make a unified 800 club?

Have you considered this before looking at the legal implication surrounding the club name?
I understand you're asking the other Dave the question Charles but if you consider the fact a lot of people aren't happy they've been pushed into a more extended club, it would suggest that would be a bit of a non-starter.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:40 am

This is where compromise is needed in reality.
Without compromise there are still wider divisions.
It would interest me personally and others if there was a unified club where everybody is relatively happy with the said club.
The technical expertise is important within the club itself. I know Dave Smart understands this from what he has included in his post and the website (which I had already seen before yesterday)
Also there is no harm in making this technical info accessible in a supplementary format to forums/social media.
This would possibly bolster the clubs image.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

dollysprint
Rover Guru

Post by dollysprint » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:45 pm

Charles you have a right to your opinion and you have had the freedom to voice it. Your criticism of the 800 Owners Club would have resulted in your membership being revoked had you not already terminated it yourself. I know this because I once criticized the club and had my membership revoked without ever being told the reason why or any right to defend myself or appeal the decision. Alex and Tanya had the Club constitution changed to be able to do this to anyone they felt should be removed, so no I won't work with people who think they can overrule democracy to suit themselves or curtail freedom of speech. And whilst a large portion of our MP's think it's exceptable to ignore a democratic vote in a referendum because it doesn't suit them, it's not the democracy I watched a large number of young men die for on an island off the coast of Argentina many years ago. The old club for me went in the wrong direction and is now so diluted the very name 800 Owners Club is a bit misleading at best.
Its also a little confusing to say in one post you were unaware of a new 800 Club but later state you had already seen the website, perhaps I misunderstood that.
Anyway Charles I wish you well.

Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:33 pm

I saw the website for the club Dave that your involved with in the intervening period.
So I may have sounded misleading or contradictory.
However, the website looks very professional and I urge you to keep up the good work and I wish you all the best with this new club.
Hopefully the efforts will pay off and maybe other people from rival clubs might come around to the idea of a single unified club.
I feel a unified club is what is needed now given the fact the car is very rare on UK and international roads.

Some might not agree with this but I think many who take an interest in the car remain interested in the cars and what body may cater for the 800 in order to preserve the model and the marque.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:38 pm

This whole business with owners clubs is unsatisfactory and unhelpful to the owners themselves. It reminds me a bit of the Ford Granda owners clubs schisms which have lead to multiple splinter clubs being set up, some of them seemingly tiny and cliquey . If the original 800 club has embraced the Legend and 600, that seems to me to be a logical move - up to a point, size DOES matter :)

When that club was formed (after the SD1 club rejected overtures to create a sub-club for our cars) it was made clear by the "management" that they didn't want to use this forum as the official or unofficial forum for the club. Making it (essentially) a Cowley Car Club seems sensible and appropriate. If I'm honest, I find single model clubs a bit limited and that is one of the things that makes the huge and all encompassing MG Owner's Club interesting and successful.

I hope that the new 800 club will be a success - but will it be big enough to maintain the necessary critical mass? I really hope so, because it seems to have been set up with the best of intentions. I'm happy (on a personal basis) for members to be pointed this way and I'm happy to give it my (personal) backing. I don't feel that I have the authority to speak for others on this matter.

I would also like to say that I hope the existence of "rival" clubs doesn't lead to tension on this forum.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT