1989 Rover 827 Vitesse automatic

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Marc-827-Vitesse
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: 1989 Rover 827 Vitesse automatic

Post by Marc-827-Vitesse » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:04 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:47 am
Great pics there Marc! Nice to see some of the older stuff there too, especially the Buick wagon (does it have the famous 215ci/3528cc V8 in it?) and the Opel Kapitan.

Were there any other 800s there or just yours?
Cheers Dave!

I think it did have a bigger, cast iron V8. No, mine was the only one. It was liked by a lot of people! The Rover 800 series seems to become more and more respected. :D
1989 Rover 827 Vitesse.
1982 Rover 3500 Vanden Plas.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:47 pm

I think the rest of the world is finally waking up to what we've alwys known - the 800 was a fantastic car and still is.

All the nay-sayers said it would fall by the wayside in a pile of rust or blow its engine (like the KV6 :P ) in a cloud of steam but they're all wrong.

In the UK, the 800 was the best selling executive car of the 90s and it's shocking to see how few remain now because of all the media hype against Rover during that time.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Marc-827-Vitesse
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Marc-827-Vitesse » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:06 pm

It is a fantastic car indeed!! :)
1989 Rover 827 Vitesse.

Marc-827-Vitesse
Rover Guru

Post by Marc-827-Vitesse » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:42 pm

Last weekend was one of the last weekend's that had some good weather forecasts. A good time to prep my 827 Vitesse for winter storage. First a proper drive to get him nice up to temperature:

Filled up with premium and an additive to preserve the fuel. After this, i washed the Rover properly and pumped up the tires.
Safely tucked away for winter.
Nighty night :D:
1989 Rover 827 Vitesse.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:17 am

Sleepy time! Have you any winter projects for the Vitesse Marc?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Marc-827-Vitesse
Rover Guru

Post by Marc-827-Vitesse » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:50 am

scoobyh123 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:17 am
Sleepy time! Have you any winter projects for the Vitesse Marc?
Indeed! :D
Yes i do. I will try to restore the front Seats. I contacted a car restorer in the Netherlands and they mixed the correct colour. I also have Filler and sealer.
When done, i will post everything here. :D
1989 Rover 827 Vitesse.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:25 pm

I'll look forward to that Marc! Be a bit sparing with the filler though, you'll find once you've sanded the leather (sounds scary i know!) and applied the dye, the leather will swell and fills a lot of small cracks naturally. The sealer also helps it swell slightly too, smoothing things out even more. A hair-dryer is immensely useful for getting the dye to dry as well! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Marc-827-Vitesse
Rover Guru

Post by Marc-827-Vitesse » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:06 pm

Thanks for the advice Dave!

Even though my Rovers are in hibernation, the hobby continues!
Like said before; i wanted to improve the condition of the leather seats in my 827 Vitesse. First i bought several items to help me. I contacted the same company who made my lovely floor matts. They directed me to a company named Colourlock.

The whole set (exept for the jar of filler on the left) was delivered by Colourlock after i sended a sample so that they could mix the proper paint colour.
This is how the leather looked:
Drivers seat:
First i cleaned them properly. I was told you must start with the least agressive cleaner and work your way up when needed.
During the cleaning, i got to another tear in the driver's seat. After this i checked the rest of the leather to make sure there were no more. I also took the time to improve the glue on other tears i repaired earlier.
After this i sanded the leather to remove old imperfections, paint and rough the surface.
Then i used a more agressive cleaner:
After this step it was quite clear that many areas were worn badly. Mainly the driver's seat of course.
Driver's seat side of the back rest:
Back rest of the driver's seat:
Then i started to apply the filler. The white thing is a plastic knife i cut down and sanded:
Driver's seat:
Backrest driver's seatl:
Front passenger seat:
To harden the filler i used a hair dryer.
Then, it was time for paint:
Tailored:
Driver's seat:
Passenger seat:
Areas i did not like the finish of, i improved as much as i could by sanding it and using specialy colour mixed filler. After this i added new layers of paint of course to even it all out.
In total, i used about 7 layers of paint on the front seats.

About 7 years ago, i painted the steeringwheel. It was a decent job but it was showing its age so because i had some paint left, i decided to freshen it up. It looked ok but up close, wear and tear was easily spotted.
Even a tear:
Mask of, sanding down and degrease:
I applied filler on the worst areas including the tear:
Then, it was time for paint:

After all this, i applied leather sealer to both front seats and the steeringwheel. This is to isolate the painted areas as much as possible and help in a durrable result.
Driver's seat:
Passenger seat:
Steering wheel:
The final step was hydration creme:
Driver's seat:
Passenger seat:
The end result:
Seat of the driver's seat:
Backrest of the driver's seat:
Side of the backrest of the driver's seat:
Seat of the passenger seat:
The steeringwheel is now in a better colour than before. It was always to light.
Tear is gone:
In the days after, i warmed/heated up the interior of the Rover to help the paint dry and set.
All in all, it looks fresh i think:

A profesional company would have replaced some parts i am sure and have a better reslut. But i am pleased and i had fun doing it. I hope it will be a durrable result. :)
1989 Rover 827 Vitesse.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:34 pm

Very nice job there Marc! I doubt a professional company would have done any more than you did, certainly doubtful they would have replaced any leather unless you were having them completely reupholstered.

If you do need to look for replacement covers at any point, don't forget the passenger side in the UK is going to be the same as your drivers side although if they're like the Mk2 versions, one side fits both.
As the passenger side gets a lot less use, there's a good chance you might find a good passenger side cover/seat in the UK if you ever need a cover. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Marc-827-Vitesse
Rover Guru

Post by Marc-827-Vitesse » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:07 am

Thanks Dave!

Ah that is always a good option! Smart. :)
1989 Rover 827 Vitesse.

Marc-827-Vitesse
Rover Guru

Post by Marc-827-Vitesse » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:59 am

Some cherrys on the cake! :)

When i lived near Rotterdam some years ago, vandals vandalized multiple cars, sadly, including my 827 Vitesse. They damaged the rear spoiler. It was replaced by a brand new one and all was fixed properly. However, the paintwork was a bit damaged beneath the spoiler (covered when the tailgate is closed) I attended it some years ago with the knowledge and skills i had back in the day. Now i wanted to improve it.

This is how it was:
Because it is winter, i put my paint in a bucket of warm water to improve the atomizing of the spray.
Primer. Now properly masked so that no sharp edges form:
Colour coat. Sanded the primer and then masked of a larger area ready for paint:
After masking of a larger area again i sprayed on the clear coat.
Still visible but much improved i think:

Next job! Years ago i painted the A and C pillars of the doors but i did not do it properly. I did not sand down enough, i did not used primer and i used matt black in stead of the correct satin. It was bothering me that the finish was not like original and that it was deteriorating after a short time. Now with some knowledge and tips from my colleages i started work.
Sanded down all the A and C pillars.
Primer:
Satin black. This time with no drips:
Other side primer:
And satin black:

Because i was on a roll ( :P :wink: ) i decided i should improve the condition of my wiper arms. I decided not to remove them because they are quite stuck and was worried i might damage the black steel strip below the front window.
Sanded:
Primer:
Satin black:
Well, if the front wipers are looking nice......... ;)
Primer:
Satin black:

Next job! The side of the MK1 800 has steel strips that are pressed inside the impact strips on the side as you know. My stainless steel strips were beginning to show some wear and tear. i painted the driver's side door strip before but i did not use the correct primer. Now to do it properly with help and advice from colleagues.
Cleaned and sanded:
Ets primer that has more penetrating power:
Matt black:
And then, satin clear coat to give a durable result and to make it look as good as original:
Nice result thanks to my colleague! :)

Before i pressed the strips in to their place, i removed the screws that hold the large strip to the car and replaced rusty ones for new ones. I vacumed out the gutter and degreased them. To be sure i coated the thread of each screw with tectyl rust preventive wax to prevent rust from forming on the car's bodywork.
After the final degrease i applied primer (yellow cloth) and installed adhesive.
Result:
1989 Rover 827 Vitesse.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:19 pm

More great work there Marc - i have to do similar to mine as well, had planned it for last summer but it didn't happen! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:35 pm

Yes great jobs well done, funny how even bodywork repairs seem to make the car feel like it is driving better.

Marc-827-Vitesse
Rover Guru

Post by Marc-827-Vitesse » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:14 pm

@ Dave: thanks!! You will do it some day, im sure. ;)

@ 820vitesse: thank you! Haha yes that is true. :)
1989 Rover 827 Vitesse.

Marc-827-Vitesse
Rover Guru

Post by Marc-827-Vitesse » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:46 pm

More little jobs done on my 827 Vitesse in the last period. :)

A job i am sure you all have one of those. ''must do that one''. One of those was the rear windscreen wiper. Since i got the car, it was not good anymore. Now finally a fresh one!!
Attended also the black trim on the sides od the rear window. They were a bit tired.
Masking:
Here you can see the wear:
After degreasing, i applied ''forever black''. This is a paste that realy penetrates the plastic:
On the left side of the car, the black inner strip of the rear bumper showed some wear. So also applied ''forever black'' here:
I actually did the entire bumper:
ANother job was the support for the battery. As in every older car, it started to rust:
Back to bare metal:
Zinc spray:
Primer:
Satin black:
Clear coat:
Before i re-installed the battery support i first cleaned everything and waxed the bodywork. I also sprayed rust preventive wax in the cavities. And put protective creme on hoses and plastics. I also used clear wax on the battery support itself in the cracks.
Everything back in place:
1989 Rover 827 Vitesse.