Fastback's cars.

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Manalishi
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Fastback's cars.

Post by Manalishi » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:33 pm

That mat looks very professionally made. I did the same but used the original stuff combined with some heavy asphalt mats heated into the grooves and corners, like Dave did. Really good results! Also I followed Daves example of insulating the boot and rear wheel inner arches too and it made a considerable difference. Yours being a fastback might give a different result, not sure, but the coupe really dropped in road noise after insulating the boot.

Fantastic work!
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:46 pm

Manalishi wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:33 pm
rear wheel inner arches too and it made a considerable difference. Yours being a fastback might give a different result, not sure, but the coupe really dropped in road noise after insulating the boot.

Fantastic work!
I found the front arches made the most difference when i insulated them. Gets rid of the tyre roar.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Manalishi
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Manalishi » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:49 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:46 pm
Manalishi wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:33 pm
rear wheel inner arches too and it made a considerable difference. Yours being a fastback might give a different result, not sure, but the coupe really dropped in road noise after insulating the boot.

Fantastic work!
I found the front arches made the most difference when i insulated them. Gets rid of the tyre roar.
Inside the car or the engine compartment Dave?
Henrik
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:55 pm

Inside the car Henrik, under the carpet. I went a little way up the bulkhead too but not too far!

The lack of tyre roar after was really noticeable! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:02 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:55 pm
Inside the car Henrik, under the carpet. I went a little way up the bulkhead too but not too far!

The lack of tyre roar after was really noticeable! :wink: :D
Yup I did that to mine too. I did it all in one time so only noticed loads of difference, but when I did the rear it was obvious. I took it for a ride with Marcus and he was not convinced but when we got out on the road I remember him looking at me, really surprised, commenting on the difference.

I did one more thing you could try, I took a board, masonite 3-4mm, and cut it to perfect shape of the rear shelf underside. Then I glued some sound insulating stuff I have from my studio, rubber foam egg-box stuff, on both sides, and screwed it up into the shelf, inside the boot. That was quite a difference too.

Oh I miss my coupe. I have to fix it..!
Henrik
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:15 pm

I plan on insulating the rear parcel shelf too Henrik, when i upgrade the speakers and high level brake light. I guessed it would make a lot of difference but i'm glad to hear it does. My plan was also to fit a layer of carpet underlay between the trim panel and the actual metal shelf, a bit like i did with the boot mat. That also makes a lot of difference! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:49 pm

Some may have seen these from another thread;

So we have mass loading on the panels and sound deadening in the cavity. Those rear quarter panels now sound really solid when tapped from the outside. I was wondering about putting a little of the matting in the spare wheel well or is the spare enough?

Regarding the bulkhead Dave, did you use the stick on bitumastic stuff or matting?

And in other news, it did rain last night. And there was a little dampness in the footwell. :( I have applied my remaining 'Seak n Seal' to a couple more areas (totally guessing now) and have ordered some Captain Tolley's.
If it only rained that stuff... :wink:
Mark
'99 Sterling KV6 Fastback :D
'96 Vitesse Lux Fastback, rolling resto :?
'96 825 SLi Fastback, just waiting. :|
Previous:- 'J' 820Si Fastback, part Tickford
MG Maestro 2.0i (I loved that car, I did)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:15 am

I used the closed-cell 5mm thick stuff Mark that i've linked to a few times. Can probably find a fresh link if you want but it's easy to work with, folds easily, stretches etc.

Also for the thickness of it, it's surprisingly good at removing noise without making it difficult to refit carpet, seats etc.

I did to my front arches with the above stuff what you've done to your reaar arches. I still need to do the rear arches behind the filler cushions at the end of the back rest. I'll do them when i upgrade the rear speakers and high level brake light, wire in the reversing light feed for the dashcam and remove the right hand boot trim panel to fit the second boot light.

As for the spare wheel well, i haven't done that yet, partly because there's an LPG tank going in there. Also even without that, the spare wheel is a sound damper as long as the fixing wheel is secured tightly.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:27 pm

Good news everyone!

Having been tested by the recent batterings we've had up north, I believe I can report I have stopped the leaks in the footwell of the Sterling! It looks like there were four areas, three of which were unrelated to each other. The last one was due to a debonding issue on the lower part of the windscreen. Water has been sitting in the spacing 'gutter' and then tracking back and in. I have filled that entire area with rubberised bitumastic seam sealer strip (so it is reversable) to stop any water build up and, of course, seal the gap. My boot is also totally dry having done the rear quarterlights and tail-lights.

I have been continuing with additional sound deadening. I found some 3mm closed cell foam and doubled up in certain areas. It's very lightweight, so not sure what effect it's going to have but it can't make it worse. I can now rebuild the car, assuming I can find the nuts, bolts, fastenings etc as I was a bit slack when taking things out. I truely did not expect it to take this long, ie since October 2019! Over 9 months ago. :shock:
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:46 pm

Glad to hear you're finally leak-free Mark! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:17 pm

Excellent! Take the time with everything and the result will be even more awarding once done!
Henrik
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:56 pm

Massive congratulations! It's a great feeling.

One thing I wasn't prepared for was the now permanent state of nerves every time the rain gets up. I know i stopped the leaks getting in, but how can I be sure it will last forever? And how long will they take to show... :)
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:51 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean. But I think I prefer it to KNOWING the water is getting in. :D

And if push comes to shove, a replacement/refitted windscreen is an option.
Mark

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:10 pm

Well, with so much bad news flying about today regardings peoples' cars, I thought I'd lighten the mood.

My Sterling is all back together, bar one or two small snaggings :D. It is quieter, particularly at lower speeds and feels a lot better over bumps etc. I have a slight blow on the flexipipe which needs sorting.

Having recovered the roof liner, I tried washing the sun visors. Oh dear! The passenger one was much worse afterwards as you could see all the glue lines. I am now trying to insert some headliner in the fabric panel area, having cut out the old one. Never done this before but I think I have a solution and if it works I'll post later. I'm also still waiting for my veneered handbrake panel.

But all in all very pleased, good be driving it again after nine months.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:02 pm

That's great news Mark! It's nice getting into a freshly soundproofed car - i've just been soundproofing my Volvo which has made an enormous difference, largely due to the lack of original soundproofing!

Apart from a few anti-drum mats on the larger areas of flat-ish metal, the only real soundproofing is round the handbrake cable! :shock: That's only because it sits on top of the trans tunnel so the soundproofing is there to prevent an unsightly lump in the carpet where the cable is! :roll: :lol:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate