Fastback's cars.

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Fastback's cars.

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:15 pm

Making notes is always helpful - either go through a notebook in chronologial/page order or date your notes, it's saves confusion later! Ask me how i know this! :oops: Better still, please don't ask me how i know this! :oops: :P :lol:
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Fastback
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Fastback » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:37 pm

OK, unplug C80 (J5), the lights go out. Time to swap out the CCU?
Mark
'99 Sterling KV6 Fastback :D
'96 Vitesse Lux Fastback, rolling resto :?
'96 825 SLi Fastback, just waiting. :|
Previous:- 'J' 820Si Fastback, part Tickford
MG Maestro 2.0i (I loved that car, I did)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:46 pm

Fastback wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:37 pm
OK, unplug C80 (J5), the lights go out. Time to swap out the CCU?
Go for it! Don't forget to disconnect the battery first though.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Fastback » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:21 pm

Right, swapped CCU but not sure if it's telling me anything. Basically no light. Didn't try to activate anything with either fob but no puddle light. On reattaching the correct CCU the light came on again after connecting battery. So if there is a CCU fault, would T4 pick it up or do I now need a complete lock/remote set? Orrrr, could it still be a 'simple' wiring issue?

Having reconnected the CCU to the Sterling, 'no light' seems to be the correct response as the puddle lights didn't come until I pressed 'Unlock' on the fob. Could/should I have pressed the 'unlock' on the Vitesse fob to activate the CCU?

Edit* Just realised that I didn't reconnect the earth with the Sterling CCU but still indicative of a dodgy Vitesse CCU
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:08 pm

It does sound very much like the CCU at fault Mark. The test now is to fit the Vitesse CCU into the Sterling and connect the battery. If the lights come on and won't go off then it's the CCU - do you know the part number on it? Should be YWC10xxx if memory serves.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:09 pm

Christmas and New Year greetings to you all!

Not been doing a great deal on the cars, despite the need to do so. I shall be further investigating the Vitesse light thing to confirm CCU issue and then try to find somebody to fix it; thinking of BBA or AP Reman at the mo.

The Sterling has had a slight issue with steering for a couple of years but only in the cold. There is a terrible, speed related whine when the wheels are moved from the centre position and I can feel vibrations through the pedals and steering wheel! It has become really bad of late but apparantly there could be some debate as to cause? My initial thought is power steering pump/rack but I have told it could be one of the idler/tensioner wheels. Yes, it wears off after about 15 mins of driving (but getting longer) and I fear something is going to completely fail.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:49 pm

Give each tensioner/idler pulley on the PAS (or serpentine) belt a squit of WD40 or similar Mark but do it one at a time until the noise and vibration stops or reduces so you know which one it is. Get it in the centre so you lube the bearing, not the belt.

If a pulley is binding, it will cause momentry loss of drive to the PAS pump so the pressure will drop for that split second. This will be felt through the rack onto the column which is mounted in the same bracket as the pedal box which is bolted to the bulkhead. That's how it spreads so you feel it here, there and everywhere.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:24 pm

Well, for those of you that are bored and/or still interested, I have some updates:

With the electrics problem on the Vitesse, I am now pretty confident that it is the CCU at fault. I swapped it out for the one from the Sterling and the interior lights did what they were supposed to do, ie go out. I have sent it off to BBA Reman for assessment although they have never dealt with one before and as such have no protocols or plans of it. I'm hoping they can use 'applied knowledge' and figure it out. Not quite sure what to do if they can't, other than get a replacement set or I believe you can reprogramme one with the T4.

Staying with the Vitesse, you may recall that I re-covered the 'A', 'B' and sixth light finishers because they got damaged when I removed them from the car to access the rear quarter lights. Sadly, I got it wrong and it is useful to know why. I used contact adhesive to glue the PVC onto the plastic, which in itself is not a problem. However, what I did not know is that PVC contains plasticiser that breaks down the rubber in contact adhesive resulting in 'bond failure'. The adhesive has liquified and isn't sticking anymore. I have had to remove all the PVC coverings and then clean off all the sticky residue on the trim. The PVC is not reusable as I can't clean the glue out of the fabric backing of it.

The lighter piece on the trim is the new material that I have obtained to do the whole thing over again. What I need to do and fortunately I learnt this before I did the Sterling, is to put vinyl primer on the back. This forms a barrier layer so the glue isn't attacked by the platiciser and stays stuck. The new vinyl, glue and primer are all from AS Trim. Fortunately I hadn't put the sixth light finishers back in before the bond failed, so I didn't break them again. Silver linings and all that...

Better news with the Sterling. Continuing with the centre console, I finally got the new burr walnut panel back for the handbrake panel. It took a couple of goes but we now have a lovely piece custom made by Chapman and Cliff in Chesire.

This time it's the real thing, not a mock up. And compared to an original,

the original looks positively naked and unfinished. Best of all, it is now in the car.

And a from the driver's point of view,

It looks proper, they should have come out of the factory like this. The switches are now a little more recessed than they were, not a problem with the heated seats toggle which now sit nicely flush when switched on. Haven't decided whether to raise the rocker switches but would be easy to do if I want to. I'll live it with for a little first.
Last edited by Fastback on Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:40 pm

That handbrake trim panel is the dogs danglies Mark!

Shame about the 6th light finishers but as you say, at least you found it now before refitting them and have a solution! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:26 pm

Congratulation, it is very beautiful

Lodein
Rover 827 Sterling Option Pack 1989 (Non Cat / Manual)

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:17 pm

Thank you, a worthwhile addition I feel.

Just heard back from BBA Reman who say they currently can't do anything with the CCU as they unable find a path to the lighting circuit. I have sent them some info regarding which is the relevant connection on the CCU but don't know if it will help. They may need a full circuit diagram of the CCU, does such a thing exist anywhere? I realise these were never intended to be a serviceable part but somebody had to put them together in the first place.

Failing that, suggestions how best to proceed please (can T4 do anything?) because otherwise the car is basically unusable :( .
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:31 pm

What year is the car and what is the part number of the CCU Mark? Should be YWCabcde(f) - 5 or 6 digits depending on year made etc.

I may have a spare one, not 100% sure but if i do i have to say it's untested and i can't test it at present due to a slight lack of available Rover! (Still at the MoT garage, can't get it back thanks to the Kung Flu!)
It was however sold to me as fully working when removed.

Nearly forgot, i opened another CCU up with repair in mind (it's lost the "Beep") and noticed some custom logic chips inside and another chip i couldn't be sure if it was custom or not but i suspect it was.

The T4/Testbook should be able to reprogram them but they're 20-30 years old now and how stable they'd be after is anybodys guess!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:50 pm

The car is a '96 MY on, electronic ignition and radio remote. Like a numpty, I didn't take full note of the part number but I'm trying to obtain that now. It might be the YWC103350 (Actually YWC103790).

If you have a spare, I assume it is reprogrammable somehow using T4 otherwise the car won't start?

Thanks
Last edited by Fastback on Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:01 pm

I think it's a slightly earlier one Mark (Mk2a) so won't have the same immobiliser circuitry as yours does - i know when i changed the CCU on mine (1994) i didn't have any problems, literally plug'n'play.

As far as i know, the earlier CCUs can be fitted in later cars and they will run.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:51 pm

I have attached a link to a Rover video which is the '94 MY on. If you go to about 8mins in, he starts explaing the revised alarm system. At ten minutes is my knock-out blow; no generic swap out! I don't know what to do. Anybody got a detailed, notated circuit diagram of a CCU?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wg1v_i ... k3&index=5

This is a serious problem and could be terminal... :cry:
Mark