Thunderbird2 & Turbo Coupes

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Thunderbird 2, The Green Machine & Turbo Coupe

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:07 pm

TGM - when you summon up the energy/enthusiasm to do the microswitches, do both doors. Not ideal from an engineering perspective as you won't know for sure which is causing it. Meanwhile removing the CCU and spraying the connector blocks in it and also the plugs (after disconnecting the battery, keys nowhere near the car obviously!) and refitting may help to effect a cure, especially with a smear of silicone grease on the plugs to prevent moisture ingress.

TB2 - bummer about the master cylinder Scott! Make sure if it has ABS the new one is suitable for ABS (ditto if it doesn't have ABS, the master cylinders are different) and as it seems to have gone suddenly suggesting water contamination, it might pay to flush the entire braking system with meths before adding the new fluid.

Also might pay to invest a few quid in one of these :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Fluid- ... 4396159192

I bought one, tested my Volvo, 1-2% depending exactly where i tried it. It went berserk in the Sterling so that's another job when i get the Sterling back again!

Don't forget to slacken the handbrake cable off before removing the rear pads and only readjust it after the pistons have been wound all the way back in, pads fitted and footbrake operated several times until the auto-adjusters stop ratcheting. It worries me when you say "when you get TB2 back" - does that mean someone else is fitting the rear pads, discs and master cylinder?

Vitesse - remove the two trim panels in the boot on the inside of the rear wings and find the sunroof drains. I'd lay bets they aren't watertight! Also inspect the seam on the channel next to the boot lid seal, it's at the screen end of the channel each side and lets water in, quite a sneaky one and if you don't realise then you could end up with the same as my Sterling has just had repaired, rear ends of the sills and on one side, trailing arm mounting point going rotten.

Fingers crossed on 2021 being better! Happy Xmas and New Year to you and your family Scott! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

scotty2
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by scotty2 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:25 pm

And to you Dave.
Thanks for all your assistance and insights.

My classic friendly garage is indeed doing discs and pads and master cylinder, although I did have to assist in getting the rear pads fitted as he hadn't undone the bleed screw. Apparently the only other car he has come across with "winding in" issues was the Mk1 Astra which forced the seals in the master cylinder to flip when you forced the rear pistons back in.

When TB2 is mot'd I'll take the Coupe off the road to dry out and investigate as suggested.
800 Saloon, Fastback and Turbo Coupe!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:48 am

You're welcome Scott. I think i'd be inclined when the better weather returns to back off the handbrake cable on TB2, remove the pads and wind the pistons back in, refit the pads and then hit the brake pedal a few times to make sure the auto-adjusters are working and then readjust the handbrake cable.

That Mk1 Astra (surprised there are any left by now, the Mk2 came out in ~1984 so only about 4 years of Mk1 production at the most) is a lesson in opening up the bleed nipple when retracting brake pistons whether in calipers or cylinders. Worse still on an ABS equipped car is they can force dirt/sediment in the brake lines back into the ABS modulator which in the worst case can kill it.
Better to risk a sheared brake nipple and maybe have a little bleeding to do than risk a master cylinder or modulator.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

mercedade
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by mercedade » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:58 pm

Interesting re: the powersteering from dead-ahead.

My Vitesse is similar. It had a new PS pump last year, and I am hyper sensitive to any issues with it as it was the old steering pump that ultimately killed my headgasket (the powersteering pump drives the water pump via a drive key on the rear, which on my Vitesse went loose on its shaft, failing to pump any water).

I remember reading on here a very technical post about a metal pinion in the rack that wears, and one of the symptoms is over-assistance which I would say mine has, once it has it's first steer away from dead-ahead. I wonder if they are connected?
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:52 pm

I might ask they guys at Kiley Clinton who know all things power steering if they can suggest a cause.

ETA: They list the rack on their website so may know a reason; 820 P 86 -KCR029

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:13 pm

scotty2 wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:52 pm
I might ask they guys at Kiley Clinton who know all things power steering if they can suggest a cause.

ETA: They list the rack on their website so may know a reason; 820 P 86 -KCR029
https://steering-racks.co.uk/rack-and-p ... nger-cars/

They seem to have quite a wide range as well, useful to know! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:04 am

Doh! They sent the garage the wrong master cylinder so I'll try Bay of E.

Is this the one Dave?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-800-BR ... xyY9VRQZwS

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:18 pm

I don't think so Scott for the simple reasons i can't confirm the part number and something in the back of my mind says the Mk1 had a different master cylinder due to the ABS-1 system as opposed to the ABS-2E system on the Mk2s. This one is in stock at RImmers apparently but more usefully gives the part number for compatibility :

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-SJC10007

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MGF-MGTF-BRA ... 4567383600

Not sure the servo will be much use on an 800 but the master cylinder is the same.

Can't find any others, new or used at a better price on fleabay, only some for the KV6 models (won't fit and are mounted on the wrong side of the car) and the only other option would be Big Red but they only appear to do a repair kit :

http://biggred.co.uk/caliper-repair-kit-2

Not sure what else to suggest at the moment.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:31 pm

Thanks Dave. have ordered the servo and cylinder. Boot latch now not operating on TB2 as well now! It didn't like being laid up for a couple of months!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:35 pm

Do you mean the electric boot release Scott? Can you hear the solenoid in the lid/tailgate moving?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:21 am

It clicks electrically allright but won't slam shut. Hard metal to metal bang. Think a spring or something in the latch is not letting it move off the "locked" position. If I move it manually (after spraying) it still doesn't latch.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:04 pm

Sounds like you have some fun stripping the latch and cleaning/repairing the problem! Also worth checking the striker plate is lined up correctly, i had something similar with mine where it had moved slightly so after adjusting it everything was fine. Not sure that's the cause of your problem but worth checking either way, especially if the latch is presenting as solid to the striker.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:24 pm

Master cylinder still not arrived. Due Wednesday. Wonder if I can get a seal kit for a SJC10007?

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:56 pm

scotty2 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:24 pm
Master cylinder still not arrived. Due Wednesday. Wonder if I can get a seal kit for a SJC10007?
Big Red do them i think Scott.

http://biggred.co.uk/

http://biggred.co.uk/mastercylinderrepairkit_brm1640

I think that's the right one, give them a call to make sure it's suitable for the ABS master cylinder though! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:52 pm

It arrived about an hour after I sent the email!

Would these MGTF LE 500 one fit? I might invest in some: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133094031726?ul_noapp=true
They look similar, so I have asked the seller to give me some photos.